Tempsure Wifi Stove Monitor??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bcarp

Jan 19, 2021
BC Interior
Hello,

Curious if anyone’s heard of or is using this?? Wifi sensor that connects to smart phone. It sounds like what I’ve been after for a while but unable to find. Looks like it only has a mag stove top sensor, no option for a flue probe on their site. I’ve sent in an email asking a few questions but thought I’d ask the experts here too!!

Thanks!!

BCARP

Kind of pricy. $25 for a plastic mounting bracket and $55 for the probe?!

I think those all come with it when you buy the sensor..

8045E0AD-E058-45D5-99F2-4197179BF1D7.png

Yes, I was just noting the huge markup. Stovetop temp is not my primary guide. I am more concerned with flue temp. Do they make a flue thermometer probe?

As someone who goes by STT I would absolutely love something like this...but $235? That seems way over priced for a relatively simple device. I don't need any bells and whistles on an app just read the temp and display it on my phone so I don't have to get up and check it.

That being said it would be so convenient I'd still consider getting it so maybe they know that lol.

I made my own using a Pi for less. I set it up to text me if the stove goes over a certain threshold and I have a dashboard to view temp in real time.

Reactions: begreen
I made my own using a Pi for less. I set it up to text me if the stove goes over a certain threshold and I have a dashboard to view temp in real time.

Impressive! I'm usually pretty quick to hop on DIY projects that are out of my league, but never ventured into electronics and programming...

As a person who has 0 experience with this type of stuff do you feel this is something I can pull off?? Your detailed email certainly makes it sound relatively straightforward. Would I require to setup a website and access that website to check the dashboard? Is the nodered and other software required available for free?

Thanks

Andy

It all runs local via node-red on the pi, the website is a local web server that's only accessible via your pi's IP address and port. The only costs were the pi, pi-plate, type k probe and type k stove top thermometers. Since flue temp is the most important, you can get by without a stove top type-k thermometer wire.

I like this approach because it involves very little programming. Setting up pi and node-red was the most complicated part. The rest was easy as node-red handles the communication of the sensors for you.

Reactions: bcarp and begreen
I made one of these years ago with an arduino and some temp sensors and a data logger / wifi shield and lcd screen.

Was a fun project and allowed me to know when the stove was burning great and when it was slowing down to add more wood.

So I talked to the guy that sells these today. He admitted he’s very weak on marketing, sales etc and has sold about 50 units over the past couple years with no issues. He buys these prom lascar which is a company that builds and sells these for the vaccine industry so claims their product is very good and offers a 1 yr warranty.

It actually comes with a probe thermometer, although I don’t think it would survive being in a stack and I don’t think em there would be anyway to keep it in place. It’s compatable with other off the shelf probes too, so you could buy the one you want off Amazon for $10.

There is also a dual channel one but it’s another $100.

I found it interesting that the battery life is about 6 months then you need to recharge, or as low as 3 months if you increase the sample rate…either way that’s not too bad.

Anyhow, that’s what I know, I’m tempted to try one out as I think making my own using pi is a bit out of my league.

Auber was having a 15$ off sale on their wireless unit. Not WiFi but I’m not spending that much extra For a WiFi connected unit. If bought one with the probe k type.

It’s interesting but 50 units in a couple years????

What do people want in stove pipe temperature measurement? I know some people might want logging, graphs, charts, apps on their phone... but my guess is that most people just want a decent, readable, responsive temperature display and the option to add some remote displays.

I used a Pi for reading temperature and my main display, and have remote knock-off Wi-Fi Arduinos that are powered by micro-USB. I plug them in anywhere within Wi-Fi range and they boot up and display the temperature and time they get from the server.

The Pi also runs a web server and updates a page that I can view from my phone or tablet or laptop. I am positive I could use one of those $5 knock-off Arduinos and a cheap, bright LED screen for the temperature "server" and have the same remote units for the remote display. The remote units are something like $10 in hardware ($5 display, $5 computer), are about the size of my thumb, and refresh every 500 ms or so. The "server" unit would cost a bit more, because the display would be larger and it needs to include a thermocouple but I'm thinking around $20-$25 in hardware. Setting these up as a mesh network would allow them run without a router, so you wouldn't even need to use your home Wi-Fi for it. It could be zero-setup for most people. Or plug and play if you prefer that term.

I thought about packaging these up nicely in 3D printed cases and offering them for sale, but then I thought about liability. Do I really want someone counting on the $10 hardware I buy from Amazon and my amateur code to read their stove pipe temperature? Also, how many am I going to sell? 50 units in a couple of years if I'm lucky, I guess.

Reactions: EbS-P
What do people want in stove pipe temperature measurement? I know some people might want logging, graphs, charts, apps on their phone... but my guess is that most people just want a decent, readable, responsive temperature display and the option to add some remote displays.

I used a Pi for reading temperature and my main display, and have remote knock-off Wi-Fi Arduinos that are powered by micro-USB. I plug them in anywhere within Wi-Fi range and they boot up and display the temperature and time they get from the server.

The Pi also runs a web server and updates a page that I can view from my phone or tablet or laptop. I am positive I could use one of those $5 knock-off Arduinos and a cheap, bright LED screen for the temperature "server" and have the same remote units for the remote display. The remote units are something like $10 in hardware ($5 display, $5 computer), are about the size of my thumb, and refresh every 500 ms or so. The "server" unit would cost a bit more, because the display would be larger and it needs to include a thermocouple but I'm thinking around $20-$25 in hardware. Setting these up as a mesh network would allow them run without a router, so you wouldn't even need to use your home Wi-Fi for it. It could be zero-setup for most people. Or plug and play if you prefer that term.

I thought about packaging these up nicely in 3D printed cases and offering them for sale, but then I thought about liability. Do I really want someone counting on the $10 hardware I buy from Amazon and my amateur code to read their stove pipe temperature? Also, how many am I going to sell? 50 units in a couple of years if I'm lucky, I guess.

I think you're bang on. I want a remote, responsive, reliable and accurate measurement of stack temp from anywhere on my property. The Auber with remote display is almost what I want but don't want to be restricted to having it plugged in, not to mention it's big and well kinda ugly - although a well respected and great instrument from what I read. Considering I pack a smart phone with me most of the time, having the temp on there with an alert function and logging capabilities makes most sense to me, if it can have multiple termocouples is a bonus, it is almost 2022 afterall.

If you could make, package and sell these for around $100 with some profit in it for you, and based on your numbers above I suspect you can, you will sell more than 50/year considering the next comparable product is more than double that cost. I am tempted to buy some hardware and give this a go myself, but am just not quite confident I wont be wasting my money as I have no experience with this stuff- I'd be better at throwing my $50-100 into a shelf ready product than trying to figure this out on my own.

If you can produce the product and get some exposure on the forum of all forums when it comes to wood burning, you'd have a good chance at selling quite a few I suspect - I'll buy one! All that said, the product needs to be reliable, so if your amazon hardware is prone to failure then it could all fall apart there.

My 2 cents...

Auber was having a 15$ off sale on their wireless unit. Not WiFi but I’m not spending that much extra For a WiFi connected unit. If bought one with the probe k type.

It’s interesting but 50 units in a couple years????
this guy was clearly not marketing the product and he admitted that. in the end he's just re-selling a commercially available product with a magnet temp sensor. From what I can tell he's not even marking it up at all or by very much and the product is commercial quality as it was built to monitor vacccine at low temps.