Tempwood users out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neil-V1 said:
Thanks for the help but I have one more question. I tried to email a member but I don't think I did it right so I thought I would ask here. On the back of my Tempwood, there is a 1/4" steel collar (6 inches) that gets hooked up to the stove pipe. My question is, does the stove pipe fit on the inside of that collar or does it go over the outside (or does it matter) when hooking it up? Now, this Tempwood is the same as our old one, but the house I bought this from (for $60) had it hooked up with the pipe on the OUTSIDE of the collar and it was held on by three screws.

Now, the Avalon we just got rid of was hooked up by a sweep after he put in our stainless liner that runs all the way up the chimney. He had the chimney liner itself attached DIRECTLY to the Avalon stove with no damper or anything and that was also attached OVER the collar on that stove too. But all the pics I have seen have the stove pipe that fits INTO and not around the collar and these use wood stove cement on the pipe joint / collar. I just want to make sure I dont screw up the draft and make it easier (or possible) for smoke to come back in the house. This never happened with our old Tempwood and I dont want to mess it up.

Thanks for all the help. This is a great site. Take care.

My Tempwood came with an adapter that fit over the stove outlet but inside the stovepipe.

Word usta be: over the stove lip and then the crimped up on the way to the chimney thimble. thought was as to make the draft "flow" better. However the suggestion now: is the first pipe crimped into the stove and crimped on down do the stove on the way to the exit on the chimney thimble. Of course the last piece of pipe into the chimney thimble needs to be crimped on both end. This is for any possible water and/or tarlike products into the stove and then burned. The draft "flow" won't really care which end of the flue pipes are crimped. Getting a flue crimp tool is handy to have too!

Thanks for the help. You guys have been great. I am wondering thought how much heat comes out under the stove? I am having to cut the legs on the stove because my fireplace opening is only 27" high. The stove is sitting on a brick hearth and it is now lined with 2" of sand in the bottom and there is a 1/8" sheet of aluminium under the stove. I am of the thinking that I should be just fine with this set up even with such short legs. Should heat be a problem underneath? Any opinions? Thanks again. Neil.

Leave a few inches of ash in your tempwood too.

I empty my ash once a month at the most.

OK......got my Tempwood 2 all hooked up yesterday. I have the chimney lined all the way up and out to the top cap and I screwed all the connections together and there is no way in heck these things will come apart now. However, yesterday when I checked my draft by holding my lighter inside the stove, the flame was sucked right out the back of the exhaust collar very strongly. Today though, the draft was weak as heck and I bunched up a couple pieces of paper and lit them on fire, tossed them in the stove and opened the stove up all the way (damper and vents) and I actually had a bit of smoke back up into the house through the vents on me. I looked at all my connections behind the stove and into the liner and no smoke was leaking out, but it worried the wife. I thought it has something to do with the outside temps vs the inside house temps maybe causing it to back up a bit because the fire inside the stove was so little and weak?????

I am hoping you guys can help me out with your experiences. Would this be considered normal until I get a good fire going?? Also, I left about one and a half (maybe two) inches of the liner sticking out above the top plate at the end of my liner (at the top of the chimney). Is that enough sticking out or maybe it should be flush? I am the one that removed this liner three years or so ago but I can't remember how much was sticking out the top if any. Any opinions (or facts) would be great. Thanks, Neil V.

A few questions: What is the (your) chimney height? At the time what was the temp outside and inside? Any house powered bath vents or the clothes dryer operating at the time? Very windy outside?
You probably know all this stuff, but The Tempwood stove fire is built "upside down" To start: flue damper & disc stove air vents wide open, a small amount of dry splits right on the sand, add some crumbled newspaper on top of the wood, light the paper. Then add firewood as needed.
Watch the disc air vents as the fire gets going. The Tempwood stove can really get going with a dry fuel load if the vents are left open.

Our chimney is 15 feet high. THe temp outside was just a hair warmer than it was in the house too. There may have also been a clothes dryer running in the next room as well. No, it was not very windy outside. I was thinking that maybe there was some kind of negative vaccum going on. I left the doors to the house open for a little while and then it seemed to get a better draft going. I really appreciate the help. You are in Maine? My wife and I are looking at a home in Stetson, ME. Is that a nice area? How do you like Maine? Thanks again. Neil V.

Yes I live in mid-coast Maine. Not my whole life yet.
Stetson, Maine is a nice little town in central Maine.
Why Stetson? Only kidding!

Aside from other conditions which may affect the draft, a cold chimney will have NO draft. This is why, in spite of recomendations to the contrary from some board members, I start with a BUNCH of newspapers, crumbled loosely.

This gives me a quick start and gets the draft moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.