TempWood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

obc83

Nov 11, 2023
maine
Hello, new to the forum, so thanks in advance. I am doing a roof, etc on a friend's new-to-them Maine cabin. The heater is a pretty beat up old top loading TempWood. This place has I suspect been empty for quite a while and now that the new metal roof is on you can see that the stack is just dumping ash. Which led me to investigate and find that there is no spark arrestor, no damper, and to me, even more importantly, no baffle! So in my mind it's basically a high tech fire pit right now. I grew up with a top loader but can't seem to remember, or find any pictures of a baffle set up. Was there one originally? Should I at least add a damper? A spark arrestor? My friend who has been staying there says the stove is a dream and you can really shut it down, which blows my mind because it just has two of those not at all airtight slider discs for vents. What should I do? I have suggested a new stove but it's not in the budget this year. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Not my picture but its one of these:
images (1).jpeg

IMHO, add a damper to the stack and spend the time getting next years wood cut split stacked and covered. Then keep an eye out for stove deals in the spring when people who have tried to burn poorly seasoned wood with an EPA stove decide to sell them.

Reactions: obc83 and kborndale
Yeah, put wood up today for next year, and the one after that. New stoves are going to want wood that’s been cut, split and stacked for at least a year. You’ll get much better results from 2 year wood though.

Reactions: obc83
It was a decent cheap downdraft stove that actually worked pretty well for its time.