Ten Ways I Can Tell There Is Going To Be an Early Spring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fossil said:
Seriously thinking about euthanizing this thread. :-/

happy0198.gif

Bring it, Got one more trip up north planned for some snowmobiling this weekend.

As for signs of spring, the dog had a tick on him this past saturday and i heard birds chirping outside the other morning. this sure has been an odd winter.

Adios Pantalones said:
Delta-T said:
rottiman said:
Yup, signs of spring..................we're down to about 2 1/2 feet of snow in the bush. We've been able to see pavement on the road for more than 2 days. We're only supposed to get 4" of snow tomorrow. and last but not least, it is only supposed to drop down to +2 degrees F tonight. LOL

I've heard of this "snow" you talk about.....never seen it though. I'll go crazy if I have to keep looking at all this brown grass, and brown trees. Its just too much brown. I could go for some snow to cover it up, or spring just needs to be here already...enough of the brown-ness. I dont even have a sad grey pile of snow, with random garbage frozen in it, to kick over here.

WMUR says 6-10" across NH tomorrow.

firebroad said:
1. The crocuses are in full bloom!
2. The daffodils are ten inches tall, and in bud.
3. The cat is shedding. A lot.
4. The skunks are mating. Phew.
5. The stinkbugs are waking up. I have found 2 staggering around the living room looking for coffee.
6. The birds are checking out the birdhouse in my back yard.
7. The groundhogs, whether they see their shadows or not, are nosing around.
8. The geese have returned to the meadow.
9. The fish are returning to the streams.
10. Men are itching to fish.

--What signs have you observed?

Three of my best Buds wives are pregnant!!!! And it wasn't even a cold winter............what were they thinking????

I'm guessing still around another month to go here till spring really kicks in, though the days are getting longer.

My folks up in Maine are still seeing below zero temps. Nothing like on the slope here though. Deadhorse was just over -50* today.

fishingpol said:
The urine in the subway does not smell like apple cider anymore.

:bug: :lol: :exclaim:

No Robins here yet, but I'm burning Aspen during the day, sure sign of spring.

Well . . . I think we're still a few weeks away from Spring up here . . . but the sap is running and we seem to have more hours of daylight and next month Town Meeting Season begins which is typically followed by the birds, flowers, pussywillows and Mud Season.

We've been having Robins on the fields and the frost heave signs are up. Our two miles of dirt road are like riding on rails during warm days(aka stuck in the ruts). Winter storm warning is up for today and tomorrow, now I have to go down to the barn and put the back blade on again. Only snow drops are coming up so far, still feels like winter.

firefighterjake said:
Well . . . I think we're still a few weeks away from Spring up here . . . but the sap is running and we seem to have more hours of daylight and next month Town Meeting Season begins which is typically followed by the birds, flowers, pussywillows and Mud Season.

Not in the LEAST looking forward to Mud. Always seems that that is when I need to work outside the most.

spring must be close...someone just tried to have a Red Sox conversation with me....baseball not really my sport.

see below sign.

Attachments

• Deadsnowman.jpg
    Deadsnowman.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 428
This is the earliet I have ever seen the Jehovah's Witnesses out. Usually they wait until May to bother me. The Mormons can't be far behind. :mad:

It's 72 here and the ladies are out on the rye.

Attachments

• 2012-02-26_13-41-09_993-1.jpg
    2012-02-26_13-41-09_993-1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 360
Dairyman said:
It's 72 here and the ladies are out on the rye.

Wow. Your ladies are lovely.

No sign of spring here. We just got a wet heavy snow a couple days ago, and are due for another starting this afternoon.
When branches start snapping off trees, does that mean spring is here. I'm trying to see the spring in things, but it's not working.
However, the forecast is calling for 50's by mid-month. We may just transition straight to summer.
The glass is half full, the glass is half full,..........

3 signs here:
1. My maple tree is spitting all over the windshield, a definite sign of running sap...
(Hmmm....Running Sap...wasn't he one of the HEKAWI tribe on "F Troop?")
2. Saw a Red Wing Blackbird yesterday in a swampy area, sitting on a cattail...
3. The Weeping Willows have started to turn golden & are the ONLY color other
than the dark grey tree trunks & dirty white snow that I can see out of my office
window...50 degrees & rainy tomorrow, may cause some buds to start appearing
on the end of the branches in my other maples...

Found the first 2 snakes of the season today. The first a big king laying up by the garage - I would have gotten a pic, but the dogs were harassing it and didn't want either it or the dogs getting hurt.

then a small dirt snake when I was scooping some leaves off the pool cover.

One of the guys I work with always has the old farmers almanac vague statements like - when the daffodils are blooming gotta watch out for the copperheads. Of course I inquired if copperheads liked daffodils :lol:

Adios Pantalones said:
Foot a snow yestidey. Dag nabbit.

Dang. I want no part of that. Warming up now, so our snow will start going away. Stay warm. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.