Tent Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

84td

Hearth Supporter
Nov 5, 2010
Norfolk
Just wondering how hard core you burners are?

I am going camping next weekend and I ordered a cheap stove and am going to try and build a tarp tent with a tent stove to keep me warm.

Anybody here had experience with this?

Except for the stove I am making this from scratch, I am trying to figure out a fabric or leather to make the stove jack on the tarp out of. Any Ideas?

Attachments

• CIMG0916.jpg
    CIMG0916.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 299
  • 172631_ts.jpg
    172631_ts.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 284
First I've seen that set-up. I have seen "campfire tents" were one of the long sides opens up with an awning & side wings to let heat & light from a campfire in. If you do it I'd suggest leaving a healty gap between the pipe & whatever fabric you end up using.
Since you asked, I have plenty of ideas, none of which involve a woodstove wrapped in a tarp :) First would be get a warmer sleeping bag & pad. If the tent is heated, you're not camping, lol. Heat water on the stove outside, or a campfire, or a cookstove, pour it into a nalgene bottle stiuffed into a hiking sock, stick that in the foot of your sleeping bag a few minutes before bedtime et voila, toasty bed (lasts many hours in a good sleeping bag. Heat rock in the fire, pull back a thick layer of sod & dump rock in there with a shovel, replace sod, make bed on top, voila, toasty. Eat a good meal before bed & your body will stay warmer as it digests the food. Don't go to bed cold. If you're cold do a few jumping jacks before turning in.

You'd better anchor that thing down VERY well. That 10' foot tall tarp/sail set-up it the photo looks like a good stiff gust would topple it over making a big ole' poly tarp, sleeping camper and flaming woodstove burrito....

LOL!!!! flaming woodstove burrito

dont get me wrong, I love to primitive camp and I like to do it in the cold, temps around 20F is the best camping weather. Usually we have a 20x30 tarp on a ridgeline 15ft above us and just build a really big fire under it and sleep on the ground around it. I am just doing some experimenting with the tarp for fun.

Make sure the rocks you heat up are of the igneous or metamorphic variety (granites, gneisses, etc). Some sedimentary rocks have pockets of air or moisture in them which will cause them to explode when heated.

I have a friend who has some wooded land and erected a semi-permanent army tent with a wood stove. I don't recall what she is running, but its a small to mid-size stove and I think there is a metal thimble type ring attached to the tent roof for the pipe to pass through. She spends a good part of the winter camping there. I might help her cut some wood this month so I'll see what the stack looks like.

WE camped in an old army tent. Our heating stove was a bit larger than what is pictured. We ran the pipe out the front of the A-frame and then an elbow to go up. For bracing we used green wood that we'd cut and drive down into the ground a bit and then wire the 6" pipe to it. For going through the tent, we also had 2 sheets of metal that we screwed together; one inside and one outside.

It was usually chilly in the morning but at all other times we heated the tents really well with it. We did that for many, many moons.....and also burned mainly green wood in the stove! Mostly cherry.

Do you have a tent smoke alarm? :)

We had plenty of alarms, usually fed with chilly and beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.