Canvas Wall Tent with old Woodland Stove need pipe help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok, the experts are here. I'll bow out.

Other than mentioning that the hi-temp silicone boot that selkirk supplied was not supposed to contact the insulated chimney; there is a collar with spacers to allow 1" airspace between the chimney and the silicone. Alas, the silicone dealio didn't work anyway because my roof slope is 10/12 and it simply could not accommodate that slope, even tho the literature said it would. So after discussions with selkirk's engineering dept, they refunded me the money with no return required since I already had it installed to cover the gaping hole in my roof. Then I had a custom jack made by a local sheet metal outfit. I'm glad it turned out that way because the silicone boot was ugly even if it had worked. My silicone boot was far, far more expensive than the amazon supplied one shown in this thread and certainly didn't have the flexing capability of that long snout. I considered one of those, but went with my chimney manufacturer's part.

I do like your plan of using a real stove with an insulated chimney, for sure. Couldn't a tent and awning place just put a new fireproof hole in the tent? Other than the horizontal run, I'd maybe be looking at coming out of the wall rather than the roof. And absolutely a spark arrestor.

Reactions: idahogal
They do make them in the walls of tents. Usually the pipe just sticks out awkwardly at a 45 degree angle and ends 6-8’ away from the tent.

Our tent has a rigid silicone seal that is tight against the pipe. It’s pretty solid in the wind. You can replace that with different sizes.

Reactions: begreen
Yall made me climb up to the top shelf.
The spark arrestor is all we use. It’s about a 16” tall. Just some rolled up expanded metal with a crimped end pounded flat with a hammer.

IMG_1876.jpeg

IMG_1877.jpeg

IMG_1878.jpeg

I don’t live in the tent, so we are talking about two different set ups. I need it a couple weeks out of the year, and can clean the pipe when I get home.

There are lots of stove tents, but they are much thinner (burn out faster, plus go through more wood) and most come with single wall pipe which would be exactly the same as if I bought single wall 6" vs 5"?

Thank you for this. I'm super paranoid about catching myself on fire, ha!

Yes. my jack isn't exactly like yours, no rubber ring, which is why I was considering adding a flashing/jack kit with the silicone. 1. to help hold the pipe more stable and 2. just for more peace of mind. I can cut into my jack fabric to fit the insulated pipe. I mostly just want to know if the pipe link above is what I need. I'm sort of confused looking through them all. Also, why wouldn't they need a cap? What about rain, birds, etc? And wouldn't it help with sparks?
Thanks!
In my frame of reference for tents and tent stoves, single wall is all I’m am accustom to. Now, know that that is from a weekend warrior or month long elk hunting camping world. Dudes just do stuff to get it done, and drink bourbon the rest of the time.

By all accounts, that double wall you linked would be better than the single wall. It will be safer, less creosote, and cooler on the tent.
The yurts pictured look to have some real chimney systems though, where I just need to not get too much carbon monoxide poisoning for a few nights.

Double wall is better than single.
If they don’t make a cap for it, it would be easy to modify one.
If you have a 6”stove collar, 6” double wall pipe, I think you may need about a 7” jack. The pipe linked is 6” ID, so it’s probably 7”OD or thereabouts.

In my frame of reference for tents and tent stoves, single wall is all I’m am accustom to. Now, know that that is from a weekend warrior or month long elk hunting camping world. Dudes just do stuff to get it done, and drink bourbon the rest of the time.

By all accounts, that double wall you linked would be better than the single wall. It will be safer, less creosote, and cooler on the tent.
The yurts pictured look to have some real chimney systems though, where I just need to not get too much carbon monoxide poisoning for a few nights.

Double wall is better than single.
If they don’t make a cap for it, it would be easy to modify one.
If you have a 6”stove collar, 6” double wall pipe, I think you may need about a 7” jack. The pipe linked is 6” ID, so it’s probably 7”OD or thereabouts.
yes, I was expecting to cut about 7" in the jack fabric. will measure the pipe once it arrives.

The stove will put out a lot of heat while it eats a lot of wood. It needs 36" clearance in all directions unless there is proper wall shielding at the corner walls. This can be simple, but must be on 1" spacers to allow air to circulate behind the wall. That will reduce the clearance down to 12". Will there be insulation in the walls? What will be the interior finish for the walls?

Does this stove have a 6" flue collar? 6" class A pipe will be 8" OD.

PS: Will there be some side windows instead of the polywall like in the video?

We have a 12x14 wall tent and a pretty beefy stove to keep us warm through the winter. If you're really worried about sparks, then I'd suggest adding something like this spark catcher thingamabob that attaches at the base of the pipe: Thingamabob

The stove will put out a lot of heat while it eats a lot of wood. It needs 36" clearance in all directions unless there is proper wall shielding at the corner walls. This can be simple, but must be on 1" spacers to allow air to circulate behind the wall. Will there be insulation in the walls? What will be the interior finish for the walls?

Does this stove have a 6" flue collar? 6" class A pipe will be 8" OD.

PS: Will there be some side windows instead of the polywall like in the video?
I am going to add wall shielding. No insulation in the walls behind the stove (most likely) No finishing around the stove. No drywall/plywood/anything inside. May add insulation in areas not at/behind the stove if absolutely necessary.
We have a 12x14 wall tent and a pretty beefy stove to keep us warm through the winter. If you're really worried about sparks, then I'd suggest adding something like this spark catcher thingamabob that attaches at the base of the pipe: Thingamabob
Oh that's interesting! I like that better than the arrestor at the top.

I am going to add wall shielding. No insulation in the walls behind the stove (most likely) No finishing around the stove. No drywall/plywood/anything inside. May add insulation in areas not at/behind the stove if absolutely necessary.

Oh that's interesting! I like that better than the arrestor at the top.
They're not mutually exclusive. I'd suggest using both.

If this is to be a 24/7 winter inhabited space, insulation will be necessary.
What type of insulation? Would Durock nexgen cement board work?
For insulation, not really, but it would work for a heat shield if properly installed.

FWIW, my friends have a wood heated 30' yurt but they don't live year round in it. Their yurt has aluminized bubble reflectix insulation. I have been in there when it's 30º out and one really has to stay on top of the fire. I can't imagine what it would be like at 0º in Idaho.

FWIW, my friends have a wood heated 30' yurt but they don't live year round in it. Their yurt has aluminized bubble reflectix insulation. I have been in there when it's 30º out and one really has to stay on top of the fire. I can't imagine what it would be like at 0º in Idaho.
I'm about to find out 😂 here's to hoping it doesn't get down to single digits this year.

I'm about to find out 😂 here's to hoping it doesn't get down to single digits this year.
It would be good to contact the family that posted the YouTube video and ask about insulation. I saw insulation board cuts in one shot so I suspect they insulated the underside of the floor. Not sure about the walls, but I know I would.

It would be good to contact the family that posted the YouTube video and ask about insulation. I saw insulation board cuts in one shot so I suspect they insulated the underside of the floor. Not sure about the walls, but I know I would.
i'm not sure they're actively doing anything with that now..but maybe I will. I will have insulation on the floor. I figured worst case scenario I can hang thick curtains/blankets to limit the area that has to be heated (walls/make a ceiling, etc)

A tent is "0" insulation. It will frost up and get colder.

Look up maybe "military arctic tent"? They are just summer tents with billows of interior fabric to create a sealed airspace.

You will be cold without addressing this single layer tent detail.

Hopefully you have a serious sleeping bag. Or seriously warm bedding.

I did a quick look. It appears that the arctic tents that I am just a little familiar with are different now. Years ago, I am pretty sure an inside fabric was just loosely bellowed inside the outside tent.

Just got back from Colorado with single digit nights. If a fire was going, the tent was fine. As long as you got dressed in the morning when the stove was cold, that was fine too. I kept my morning layers in my cot with me to keep them pre-warmed.

I have seen survival shows on the net, and most have a stove in the tent, for heat, heat water, and cook. One I saw, the stack was just rolled up metal. You unroll it, roll it into a tube. then there are rings that hold it together. You should be fine, just might get too warm, lol....

I’ve used this one in Colorado in the snow too. If you were not careful it would get too hot. This little booger needs to be fed often though. Th reason my pants and foot look funny is the steam. I’m drying out my pants after some camp chores. Had it in the 80s inside the small 4 man tent. But anyway, that’s got a little roll up chimney like Bill is talking about.

IMG_5424.jpeg

IMG_5403.jpeg

Thats the kind of stove I was talking about! Ive seen a few different ones, but they are the same pipe it seems like? Anyways , thanks for the pics.