Termites on wood pile.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Niro

Burning Hunk
Jul 13, 2021
Northern Westchester NY
I recently went through and split some tree service wood I got a month ago. The pieces that had rot and ants I burnt in my outdoor pit or was able to take to the recycle center.

I noticed some flying termites on the pile that was going to keep and about to stack it. Not sure if they will move on or do I have a problem. I plan on drying it about 60 feet from the closest part of my house. I'm 3 year ahead now so it will be dry when I bring it inside. Should I be concerned?

I recently went through and split some tree service wood I got a month ago. The pieces that had rot and ants I burnt in my outdoor pit or was able to take to the recycle center.

I noticed some flying termites on the pile that was going to keep and about to stack it. Not sure if they will move on or do I have a problem. I plan on drying it about 60 feet from the closest part of my house. I'm 3 year ahead now so it will be dry when I bring it inside. Should I be concerned?
I don’t think so, because it’s not close to your house

First, make sure you're looking at termites. Do you have any clear pics? Termites swarm in the spring. Ants and other insects will swarm during the summer. Luckily, in NY, we only have the Subterranean termite and not the Formosan. Do you see any wood damage or mud tunnels? Termites cause specific damage. Take pics. Also look at your foundation inside and out.

Carpenter ants will travel 300 feet from their nest to forage for food, water, and new places to live. 60 feet is better than none, but its not going to keep anything away.

Reactions: Niro
Ok I will take pic tomorrow if I still see them. I'm pretty vigilant about inspecting my house both in and out I've not seen any mud tunnels.

What I saw looked like winged termites from a quick Google search. But I'll see if I can catch them on camera. I do see some black (what I believe to be) carpenter ants outside from time to time, and when I do I try to snuff it out with ant bait around the area.

I guess my next question if there are termites or any type of wood eating bugs, is it safe to bring the wood inside once it's dried out for a few years?

Both ants and termites want moister wood. The mud tunnels are a way to control the humidity for the termites. Check carefully where the foundation meets the sill plate. I would not bring wood inside until you're ready to burn it. Some wood boring insects such as powder post beetles do not mind dry wood. You really don't want them in your house.

First, make sure you're looking at termites. Do you have any clear pics? Termites swarm in the spring. Ants and other insects will swarm during the summer. Luckily, in NY, we only have the Subterranean termite and not the Formosan. Do you see any wood damage or mud tunnels? Termites cause specific damage. Take pics. Also look at your foundation inside and out.

Carpenter ants will travel 300 feet from their nest to forage for food, water, and new places to live. 60 feet is better than none, but its not going to keep anything away.
This is what is saw not sure if it's a termite on the wood pile i just split.
20230711_190133.jpg

You should see the horse flies we have around here

293451175_10224438726289877_6458426879027882454_n.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: yuryk and Niro
We have horse flys also but most pack a knife and fork with them
They want a big chunk of you