terracotta crock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Harsea42

Oct 16, 2022
Pa
I tore down the ugly tile behind my woods stove and I believe I have some clearance issues that I need fix before I covering everything up again . So I have a terracotta crock going through the wall with only 8” clearances to some of the wood. I realize it should be 18”. I can’t remove all the wood because my chimney is not wide enough and I have sheeting from my siding around 10” away.

I have been looking at double wall thimbles to install to bring that clearance need down to 6”. My question is how should I handle the old terracotta crock? If I removed the whole thing I’d have a 10” hole going into my block chimney, would it be ok to trim the terracotta crock flush with the block chimney? Then secure the thimble to the chimney and run it through what’s left of the terracotta crock? If I removed the old crock I’d be left with a hole much larger then the thimble.

Is there anything I can do to use the old crock? It’s in good shape other than the clearance issue
93AF3FFB-1F30-430C-9223-B9C3B5E2B7C0.jpeg 21DFC228-31AE-4980-A90C-687C7B1B93F1.jpeg

Last edited:
I tore down the ugly tile behind my woods stove and I believe I have some clearance issues that I need fix before I covering everything up again . So I have a terracotta crock going through the wall with only 8” clearances to some of the wood. I realize it should be 18”. I can’t remove all the wood because my chimney is not wide enough and I have sheeting from my siding around 10” away.

I have been looking at double wall thimbles to install to bring that clearance need down to 6”. My question is how should I handle the old terracotta crock? If I removed the whole thing I’d have a 10” hole going into my block chimney, would it be ok to trim the terracotta crock flush with the block chimney? Then secure the thimble to the chimney and run it through what’s left of the terracotta crock? If I removed the old crock I’d be left with a hole much larger then the thimble.

Is there anything I can do to use the old crock? It’s in good shape other than the clearance issue
View attachment 300646 View attachment 300647
What do the thimble instructions say? Typically I would remove all of that brick and attach the thimble to the chimney

I haven’t got a thimble yet. But the one I was looking goes 5” into the chimney, from the front my chimney to the inside edge is 10 inches. Is it ok to cut the clay crock and leave 10” and mount the thimble going into what is left ?

I haven’t got a thimble yet. But the one I was looking goes 5” into the chimney, from the front my chimney to the inside edge is 10 inches. Is it ok to cut the clay crock and leave 10” and mount the thimble going into what is left ?
Is it 10" from the brick we see there to the liner inside or is the actual chimney wall 10" thick

The actual chimney wall is 10” thick. The way it is now the crock is 23” long.
Look at the ventis wall thimble it is by far the easiest I have used so far