test mode while cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmart

Aug 2, 2011
central Maine
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

OK-- I've been using the test mode function while cleaning my stove. It's been really helpful
pulling the ash out while brushing because the dry-vac is usually off during that part.
I don't always see the big picture, so are there any negative consequences in doing this?
thanks, Jerry.

my concern with this is sucking all the fine dust deeper into the passage ways
combustion blower and exhaust piping
I run my vac while "dusting" to suck the dust foward
I do remeber someone else doing it that way though
you should have a bunch of responses shortly

I ALWAYS clean my Harmans in Test Mode. When I
brush down the firebox wall, heat exchangers & scrape
the burn pot, I'd rather have the dust evacuated thru the
venting than wafting thru my house. Absolutely NO ISSUES
doing it this way.

DAKSY said:
doing it this way.

learn something new everyday

[quote author="mepellet" I had about 6" before leaving the house this morning at 6.[/quote]

About 8" and counting at 9:30 am.

ironpony said:
DAKSY said:
doing it this way.

learn something new everyday

I wanted to add that I remove the ash pan and do a thorough vacuuming before brushing to minimize the ash
being pulled out the vent.

I do it this way too. I HATE dust and doing it this way I find no extra dust floating around or laying on furniture, etc. There's no harm in using the test mode this way.

DAKSY said:
doing it this way.

I did all that stuff last night... why the hell didn't someone post this yesterday? :)

Great idea.

I clean my St Croix with the fan on - the dust I raise while cleaning is so fine that it blows outside easily. Even when I use the leaf blower, I don't get a big cloud of dust. I was hoping for the black cloud like in the videos, but nowhere near that. I use the blower about once per ton.

helismash said:
I did all that stuff last night... why the hell didn't someone post this yesterday? :)

Great idea.

LOL Sounds like my luck!

I read about someone doing this awhile back, of course it was the day after I cleaned stove. :coolsmirk:

I think it is the best way to clean! I use it on my Harman PF100 and on my Quad Castile. I helps cut down on the ash spillage back out into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.