Testimony to the M55 Stirrer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whlago

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2011
NW Connecticut
So I cleaned the stove a couple days ago and this morning noticed the flame wasn't it's usual self. A little lazier and less active I changed the trim settings a bit to see if that would have any effect. In addition, the glass darkening pattern was a little different than usual. While changing the settings I noticed a couple things about the burn pot: 1) pellets piling up well over the stirrer and I noticed the stirrer itself had a layer of ash on it which means it hasn't been turning like it should.:confused:

Went into shutdown mode and at the end of that there were still pellets smoldering in the burnpot (which never happens when operating properly). Opened the door and with glove hand gave the stirrer a little twist which properly seated it into the gear. Started it up and it was back in operation. Evidently during my cleaning (done on Tuesday night and not my usual Saturday morning) I must not have seated the stirrer ;em Operation back to normal with that nice active and efficient flame!

I equate the stirrer to that (sometimes annoying) friend who is constantly poking the campfire but at the same time is creating an efficient burning fire so you don't have to. Anyway...a little long winded post dedicated to a steel rod with staggered spurs but what the heck.....I like it :)

I had the same exact thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago after cleaning the stove. For whatever reason I just didn't get the stirrer twisted all the way in to engage the drive shaft. The next day the fire in the pot was very lazy and there was a nice pile of ash in the center of the burn pot. Taking a closer look I noticed that the right end of the stirrer was not all the way into the hole. Shut the stove down, gave the stirrer a twist, fired the stove back up and after the start up cycle the stove was back to normal.

Yup, been there done that...............a couple times ;em.

Status
Not open for further replies.