Testing Chimney Caps @ 20-28 FT OF CHIMNEY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

black smoke signals

Feeling the Heat
Nov 6, 2016
Wyoming Colorado
Draft sensitive BK stoves? Dealer install Vacu-stack doesn't seem to work for my 22ft chimney (06-plus on manometer) with fluctuating results. Does an excellent job controlling down draft but I suspect cap increase draft with 20-40 mph winds that I have. I installed a cheapie cap flat style lid hoping for a change but summer is here for a few days I did a check on a cold stove with manometer still reads above 06.. Any of you know a chimney cap that I should try been there done that experience or what works for you? I don't want to be blinded by science. When buying a new stove do stove manufactures test chimneys at my height and altitude?

Kinda hard to understand exactly what you are saying here lol.
I would absolutely avoid a vacu-stack on a BK if possible. It WILL clog up! I don't think it will increase draft, rather decrease it. Many people think they need one because they did on their old smoke dragon. You may not need one on a BK.

You are not telling me anything I don't already know LOL other than I know my old cap does INCREASE draft which I don't need just look at the construction of the cap. Reread my post again I'm experiencing low burn time just looking for at least 8hr burns this is where I'm going.Good weather here to hot to test run my BK. What kind of cap are most here using with conditions I have for better words Webby

This is a quote from the chimney sweep web page.
Thanks for the inquiry, and for the kind words about our website! A Vacu-Stack draft cap creates an updraft whenever wind is blowing directly onto it, and this draft gets progressively stronger as the wind velocity increases. It is possible that previous windstorms weren't as strong, or didn't blow directly onto the cap.

You are not telling me anything I don't already know LOL other than I know my old cap does INCREASE draft which I don't need just look at the construction of the cap. Reread my post again I'm experiencing low burn time just looking for at least 8hr burns this is where I'm going.Good weather here to hot to test run my BK. What kind of cap are most here using with conditions I have for better words Webby
I'm still having trouble understanding your posts I guess? Try your new cap and the report back.

For the record: just wrapped up a 30 hour burn with my princess! I couldn't be happier!

Don't they have special caps for high wind areas? Maybe that's what you need, too much draft will burn your load quicker.