Thank you!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Piston77

Oct 30, 2018
Reno
EA7ACE50-5542-44F4-90B4-C9248B015506.jpeg 035C2E87-6F70-4B67-82E2-FDFC96C3A1E4.jpeg
Hi everyone,

Wanted to join up so I could thank you all in this community. The mrs and I bought a fixer upper on a really nice piece of property about a year ago. The house has very inefficient radiant heat in the ceiling and and old fireplace. Last winter we were paying about 400 a month to keep the little house(1460 sq ft) at 65 degrees. This summer I put a new roof on so we can start using the fireplace, but as we found out it sucked as well.
After stalking this forum and researching inserts we bought a pacific energy super insert. Got everything we needed for install for 2500 otd (seems reasonable). Well last night we got to the mid 20’s out and that insert got the house to 82 degrees!
I wanted to thank everyone and all the knowledge shared on this sight about block off plates and which insulation to use and everything else I could possibly need to know to tackle the install. I couldn’t be happier and couldn’t have done it without this forum!

Thanks,
Mike

Looks Super! Enjoy the warmth.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Piston77 - I have a question. I also had a pacific energy super insert installed this year. It’s working well but I’m wondering if it could be better. I see that you have a gap at the top where I’m guessing your fan air comes out. I don’t have a gap and my fan air comes out from under the top and down in front of the glass. Other stoves I’ve seen typically blow air out straight into the room. Which is the correct way with the PE super insert stove??

Piston77 - I have a question. I also had a pacific energy super insert installed this year. It’s working well but I’m wondering if it could be better. I see that you have a gap at the top where I’m guessing your fan air comes out. I don’t have a gap and my fan air comes out from under the top and down in front of the glass. Other stoves I’ve seen typically blow air out straight into the room. Which is the correct way with the PE super insert stove??
Hi there,
My fan air comes out of the gap on top of the stove straight out into the room (where the kettle is in my picture). With the fan on high it’s a pretty good blast of hot air straight out. I’m curious to see a picture of yours, I would assume it’s the same as mine, not sure why you wouldn’t have that gap where the fan exhausts it’s air and why it would go down in front of the glass...

not sure why you wouldn’t have that gap where the fan exhausts it’s air and why it would go down in front of the glass...
Yeah, we need a pic of his. Yours looks like there's supposed to be another trim piece over that gap, but I see some images online with the open gap, some without.

bigsuperinbn.jpg

Yeah, we need a pic of his. Yours looks like there's supposed to be another trim piece over that gap, but I see some images online with the open gap, some without.

View attachment 235570
Now I definitely would like to see a pic of his. The image you have shows the surround covering that gap. It’s possible mine could be wrong, I noticed the other night mine is missing the pin that holds the air baffle in place...

Now I definitely would like to see a pic of his. The image you have shows the surround covering that gap. It’s possible mine could be wrong, I noticed the other night mine is missing the pin that holds the air baffle in place...
Yours is a B body. It is correct as is. The newer C body inserts closed the gap and the air comes out under the top plate.
Congrats on the beauty you have there, great choice. She'll keep you nice and warm.

The big brother to your insert, The Summit. B body.

Attachments

• 20180116_182849.jpg
    20180116_182849.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 128
You read and did your research, block off plate and everything. Impressed.

Ok, the summit you have looks identical, just super sized. I almost went with that but the sales guy said it would be too much stove for 1500 sq ft, after burning the last couple months I agree, this super heats the whole house, haven’t turned on our crappy radiant heat yet with lows in the teens here so far. Love having a $60 utility bill! Thanks for clarifying the stove is correct too!

Ok, the summit you have looks identical, just super sized. I almost went with that but the sales guy said it would be too much stove for 1500 sq ft, after burning the last couple months I agree, this super heats the whole house, haven’t turned on our crappy radiant heat yet with lows in the teens here so far. Love having a $60 utility bill! Thanks for clarifying the stove is correct too!
No problemo. Enjoy.