Thanks a million guys!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slinger646

Hearth Supporter
Aug 10, 2009
Appalachian VA
Well, after a summer of lurking and learning, I purchased a Summer's Heat NC30 from Lowe's on one of their credit promotions.

My step-dad and I constructed the hearth. We ripped up the carpet and padding, backed it with 1/2" concrete board and finished with slate tile.

A few buddies and I moved the stove in tonight using a dolly and some ratchet straps.

I think it is much better than my cast-iron box of death. I hope it will be easier to manage, the old 'zang hat to be constantly stoked and monitored because it had a tendency to get away.

The chimney is 1yr old, some super-mega ninja lining.

Attachments

• IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_2864 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2864 - Copy.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 568
Looks good, where the fire? :p

wow thats a billion times nicer then the original you had there. my buddy runs the original you had up in michigan...

Ray

I want to break her in during the day, to get the smell out...ya know....wives..

BTW, Total Cost for Hearth Construction: +/- $160.00

That lamp is Mccartney divorce booty.

Home Depot near me has a NC30 out of a box and on display this year.
That firebox is huge.

The lamp would fit.

I think you need a little more clearance in front of the stove (should be 16-18" and you look to be ~13). But yes, much better than the old setup.

myzamboni said:
I think you need a little more clearance in front of the stove (should be 16-18" and you look to be ~13). But yes, much better than the old setup.

You're right, I have 24" in the rear....I haven't got her rolling yet, so it'll be a easy adjustment.

slinger646 said:
The chimney is 1yr old, some super-mega ninja lining.

Too funny, dude...

slinger646 said:
bjkjoseph said:
all i saw was the lamp

It's a major award.

My dad bought it for a housewarming gift. It came in as we were moving stuff in. It was in a big box that said Fra-gee-lay on it.
Lovin the X-mas Story lamp!!! :cheese:

Good call on the stove too, it's a proven design and hard to beat for the $$$. Enjoy it.

slinger646 said:
bjkjoseph said:
all i saw was the lamp

It's a major award.

My dad bought it for a housewarming gift. It came in as we were moving stuff in. It was in a big box that said Fra-gee-lay on it.

Must be Italian.....

Great set up! What a difference from the old one.

In 1987, I went to a seamstress and had her make my younger brother (22 years old, 6' 2") a pink bunny suit for Christmas. Ironically enough, my present from him that year was a Red Ryder BB gun.

I love that movie!

New stove look's great. I just installed an englander 30 and have been burning it more than is needed for this time of year! I've got nothing but good to say so far. It will be a huge improvement over that boxwood stove.

Is the wall that your chimney burried in constructed of sheetrock or some sort of concrete board?

Reason I ask is that drywall can't be (even the fire rated stuff) within 18 inches of that single wall pipe. For me, that meant it was time to lay bricks. For you, assuming the area is studded correctly with that super chimney, you should be able to get away with removing the drywall around where that single wall pipe passes into the wall and using a fire safe board of some sort.

Check out what I went through here.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/30025/

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy that stove.

pen

Pics are like a before and after Charles Atlas ad: from 98 lb weakling to 450 lb muscle man. Nothing fra-gee-lay about NC30.

Pen, The wall with the thimble in it is solid brick that has been finished over with concrete for "smoothness". Its a 6" pipe with some kind of insulating mortar around it....looked like fiberglass and cement when they mixed it. I cannot feel any heat on any part of the chimney "to the touch"

Attachments

• IMG_2864 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2864 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 410
slinger646 said:
Pen, The wall with the thimble in it is solid brick that has been finished over with concrete for "smoothness". Its a 6" pipe with some kind of insulating mortar around it....looked like fiberglass and cement when they mixed it. I cannot feel any heat on any part of the chimney "to the touch"

Glad to hear it. So many guys just don't know (like I didn't). Wanted to make sure you had the trifecta and it sounds like you have got the perfect setup. New stove, safe chimney and safe hearth pad. Well done, you'll have years and years of good burning there.

Now I just hope you've got lots of dry wood. Guess that would make the tetrafecta or would it be quadfecta?

pen

Well I have to admit that I first noticed the sharp looking hearth pad . . . followed by the stove . . . and then of course the eye was automatically drawn to the lamp.

firefighterjake said:
Well I have to admit that I first noticed the sharp looking hearth pad . . . followed by the stove . . . and then of course the eye was automatically drawn to the lamp.

I'm slipping, i didn't even notice the lamp! I definately need one for the man cave.

pen

pen said:
firefighterjake said:

I'm slipping, i didn't even notice the lamp! I definately need one for the man cave.

pen

Of course I'm still wondering what's with Slinger's candle, vacuum and tan pumps in his Fortress of Manly Solitude . . . I suppose the remote kind of offsets those other items. ;) :)

And, I'm a little disturbed you know they are called pumps! ;-)

Actually it can be sheetrock. You need 18" clearance measured perpendicular to the pipe. Since the pipe enters that back wall horizontally it can be sheetrock so long as the proper thimble is in place.

You'll probably want to put that connector pipe on before you start the stove.

Why the huge rear clearance? Can't that stove be placed much closer to the wall?

Highbeam said:
Actually it can be sheetrock. You need 18" clearance measured perpendicular to the pipe. Since the pipe enters that back wall horizontally it can be sheetrock so long as the proper thimble is in place.

You'll probably want to put that connector pipe on before you start the stove.

Why the huge rear clearance? Can't that stove be placed much closer to the wall?

So it would be OK to have sheet rock right up to the edge of a clay thimble as long as there is proper brick behind it? Like this? so long as the vertical pipe is 18 inches away?

W_Wayne_Robertson-4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.