Thanks for the advice who ever it was!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

The other day I was cleaning my stove glass and all I could think was how stupid it was that everything I try just leaves a residue that turns black immediately. So on the forum somewhere I read that I could just use ash and hot water which would clean it right up ( I thought ya right that will work )! Well here is the proof it works as well as a nice cold start :mad: I hate cold starts )

Pete

Attachments

• Thanks for the advice who ever it was!
    IMG_0022.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 566
  • Thanks for the advice who ever it was!
    IMG_0023.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 572
Yep, ash and water work great!

Why is the glass so nasty, is this typical of this style stove? I've never even sooted up the BK glass that bad.

If I burn wood it stays very clean however I am sing Eco blocks right now and they do not form a hot enouph coal bed to keep it clean all the time. The Eco blocks burn hot but they tend to leave clumpy coal bed for a while. I usually mix wood to keep it hot but it has been so warm that I am getting by just fine on Eco blocks for now.

Pete

My other problem was the cleaner I used kept leaving a film behind so when I fired up the stove it would flash burn and go instantly black. This is very anoying considering it is wood stove glass cleaner :exclaim:

Pete

I use either windex and newspaper or white vinegar and newspaper.

Pete1983 said:
The other day I was cleaning my stove glass and all I could think was how stupid it was that everything I try just leaves a residue that turns black immediately. So on the forum somewhere I read that I could just use ash and hot water which would clean it right up ( I thought ya right that will work )! Well here is the proof it works as well as a nice cold start :mad: I hate cold starts )

Pete

Pete, not even hot water! Just dampen a newspaper with cool or cold water then dip it into the ash (or should we say, touch the ash). Very little ash is required too so don't try to get too much on the paper.

thanks Savage, I'll remember that too.
My side glass will always be problematic so it's nice to know what works.
Thanks for the advice who ever it was!

Backwoods Savage said:
Pete1983 said:

Pete

Pete, not even hot water! Just dampen a newspaper with cool or cold water then dip it into the ash (or should we say, touch the ash). Very little ash is required too so don't try to get too much on the paper.
Thanks for that tip Dennis I will try to remember that as well !

Your Friend
Pete

This does make sense. Think about it...wood ash, when leached with water, produces lye. Which is a detergent used in soaps! So there ya have it. Great tip!!

You don't need to wait on the glass to cool either. When I clean mine its before a reload when the temps are down say 250-300. Been doing it for yrs and has never been a problem. The wet cloth just cools the glass a little but that glass can take the shock.

I also tried the wet paper towel dipped in ash works great No more Windex for me.

Most of us get to that eventually. I tried lots of things and then started a few years back with the wet paper towel and ash; I use a dry paper towel to clean that. It always comes up really nice. I do it on the days I am emptying ash anyway. Leave the door open to clean out and the glass is cool enough by the time I'm done.

Windex with ammonia is not supposed to be used on anything but glass.Also be careful,there are fine particles in the ash though it works great.

Adios Pantalones said:
Burn hot and there's no black. Then just a wet paper towel wipes off the haze. Even if you have a slow start the hot fire will clean off the black.
Its only black with eco blocks ita very clean with wood.
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.