The Aurora Borealis Effect

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MnDave

I think that I just stumbled on a trick that makes my stove do a pretty amazing thing. I have seen this before but not this good. I am calling it the Aurora Borealis Effect.

Most of us have seen the flames flow off the wood in swirling and undulating patterns. It is mesmerizing. I catch myself glancing over at the flame show while watching TV.

The wood may have something to do with it. I have lots of small round pieces, 1 to 3 inches in diameter. I hate to waste small branches so I cut them up and stack them. They dry well and are great for starting fast hot fires.

First, I did not pull the coals forward but instead spread them evenly in the box. They were medium hot.

Second, I arranged the first layer N/S, the second layer E/W, and a third layer N/S. I left a gap between each piece.

I closed the door and pretty soon it was catching fire on all 3 levels. In fact I had to set the air control to minimum to keep the stovepipe temp under 400.

It was still burning above 350 so I closed the damper completely.

That is when it really started... the Aurora Borealis Effect. The flow was the richest I have ever seen. It started at the top and slowly fell in front of the glass until it expanded and swirled back into the matrix of wood and disappeared.

I looked closely at the waves of flame and could see tiny specks of ash burning in the flow.

On every hole in every secondary tube was a perfectly shaped and undisturbed flame.

It did this for over a half an hour. The trick is to get the secondaries real hot, get alot of gas coming off the wood, and then slow the flow down as much as possible.

Next time I have company over I will show them my Northern Lights.

If it was not for that $3 stove damper my stove would not be able to do this.

MnDave

You're a fire addict! lol
I make my stove do tricks now and then..i'll have to try yours now!

You're a fire addict!

I love burning wood. It connects somewhere really deep in me. I can hold a piece of wood and feel a special value in it.

Yep. I'm addicted to fire.

I love stoves and saws and splitters and trucks and land and trees and ... and ... snow and snowmobiles and trails and mountains and lakes and water and boats and...

MnDave

I love burning wood. It connects somewhere really deep in me. I can hold a piece of wood and feel a special value in it.

Yep. I'm addicted to fire.

I love stoves and saws and splitters and trucks and land and trees and ... and ... snow and snowmobiles and trails and mountains and lakes and water and boats and...

MnDave
Sounds like a song..lol...I know you gota love little baby ducks also!

Sounds like a song..lol...I know you gota love little baby ducks also!

We have a family of ducks living on our shoreline. They flew south when the lake froze over a couple weeks ago.

You are a late bird like me. I am burning down the coals from my Aurora Borealis... 2 cubic feet of sticks really put some heat into the stove. The house is 70 and it is 10 outside.

MnDave

We have a family of ducks living on our shoreline. They flew south when the lake froze over a couple weeks ago.

You are a late bird like me. I am burning down the coals from my Aurora Borealis... 2 cubic feet of sticks really put some heat into the stove. The house is 70 and it is 10 outside.

MnDave
Stll like 28f here..i loaded up the stove a few hours ago.
She is crusing at 575 right now..74 in the next room to it..nice and warm upstairs even.
Soon as I finish this Capt/Coke it's lights out for me!

It is getting to be real Minnesooooooootah here. Three cold days in a row. There is only a little snow on the lake so we will start to get thick ice now. We get 4 feet thick on average.

Check your PM's.

MnDave

It is getting to be real Minnesooooooootah here. Three cold days in a row. There is only a little snow on the lake so we will start to get thick ice now. We get 4 feet thick on average.

Check your PM's.

MnDave
I already answered ya! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.