The Bob Fisher book

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
I just read the Bob Fisher book and I have to say something (I Know the thread is closed) but that story truly touched me.. this was probably the longest thing I have read since I was in high school (graduated in 2003)
The story really bought home the values on a person, and the opportunities one can have living in this wonderful country.
While reading, I actually had imagined myself as Bob, as the story is written and I would say I defiantly can relate to the guy. I have some of the same characteristics and a loving girl friend that gives me the energy to wake up every morning and do something positive.
What I took away from the book long and short (reading past the story) was the Bob was always in search of something, He was a farm boy and farm boys were just to suppose to live a simple life, but life gets complicated and you end up having to work for someone else and be a good worker; that's how you can put food on the table, you need to believe in your own core values so that you can have faith in others. The only thing the Bob didn't count on was that he had certain inspirations, and he thought as I thought, that once you hit a certain level in life (in his case business growth and prosperity) that problems would go away or problems would become easier to solve, which is doubtfully in this case, with the larger you are the more responsible you need to be, its called span of control.
Very good story though, I hope some others read this, it will warm your soul stronger than any stove.

Last edited:
It also gives the perfect examples of "watch what you wish for because you just may get it".

Having been a carpenter/remodeler and small business guy, I saw so many cases of people not thinking about where they were going to end up. Example - you get a great sheetrock guy and his helper and they are making a decent living. Next thing you know, they have 50 employees because of the building boom. Of course, you know the next part of the story - they usually go broke and perhaps their families suffer with divorce, stress, etc...

My efforts, including hearth.com, usually got much bigger than I had figured on...but never out of hand. All of them were relatively easy to wind down, sell, transfer, etc...

You have to know yourself - or at least learn about yourself. I work better alone or in a small group of people who are all equals (if not in pay, in common sense and capabilities, etc.).

Bob F was taken for a ride by the accidental success and saw all the situations which occur when greed strikes...I'm glad he was able to leave the business and have some life afterwards!

Status
Not open for further replies.