The Door Glass moves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FireRod

Aug 22, 2014
Blackwood, NJ
Actually I have 2 questions. The 1st is, Why do the clamps continue to loosen that hold the glass to the door on my Jotul Castline 400? Last year my glass cracked and I had to replace it. After I replaced the glass every once in a while the clamps that hold the door glass in place would loosen and the glass would fall. Can I use Loctite on them or are they getting loose from use and should the be replaced? The glass is the same thickness as the old glass.
My 2nd question is where the clamps are (and when they are tight) I'm getting a lot of build up like creosote. I did replace both the door and glass gaskets last year. Even when I replaced them the glass still had that look like there was an air leak. How can I stop that?

Make sure that the glass gasket is properly in place and sealing between the door and the glass.

It is, I don't believe that's the problem.

My Jotul 3cb used to give me a similar problem. Every couple of years I would have to replace the gasket to get tension back with the poorly designed clamps. Then I replaced the glass gasket with a thicker wider ribbon type flat gasket that fit over the groove intended for the original thin gasket. I used the same gasket between the clamps and the glass. I was then able to tighten down the clamps without putting too much stress on the glass. The glass hasn’t moved or leaked in over 5 years. It looks nicer too. Beefier and manly.

Our Castine's glass gasket was out in a couple of places, but subtly. Sooting of the glass indicated where. I loosened up the clamps and gently persuaded the gasket into place, then gingerly tightened up the clamps in that area again. There were no issues after that, but I sold the stove a few years later.