The Feeling of a Good Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
4pyj8h.jpg

Pulled an unexpected third of a cord or so out the woods with my son yesterday after exploring...can confirm this meme is 100% accurate! ;lol

Last edited:
I had a big dead ash that was like that, was fantastic since I had just gotten the stove and the house and had no wood, bonus it was easy to get too, it even had all the bark off. I also was burning all the standing dead pine that were along my driveway. Pines were about 23% mc, ash minus 10’ above the trunk was around 18%.

Yeah sadly here in the NE the EAB has done some serious work. It sucks to lose all the great ash trees but at least we can put them to good use.

Yeah sadly here in the NE the EAB has done some serious work. It sucks to lose all the great ash trees but at least we can put them to good use.
Here in PA everywhere you look their dead!!! There’s a spot in our woods where every single one is dead. It’s so much firewood it’s crazy. However it’s changing the woods so much. All thick stuff growing down low makes it a pain to get through and work.

I plan on doing some planting to try to get other trees to take their place this spring

While we have lots of standing dead ash, the maples and oaks have largely taken over around here with some cherry, elm, and hickory mixed in (for hardwoods). You really only notice it when it was a nice big front yard display tree or you're looking for them.