The fire is out.... 24/7 comes to an end.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

Well, I let me fire go out over night. I have been burning 24/7 for the past 7 days. It's been great but is also a lot of work. Load in the AM when I get up, load at noon, load when I get home from work and then load in the PM before going to bed.

I must admit that I have become obsessed with wood burning! LOL. The heat produced by my stove has been great. My electrical heating has not come on one in the passed 7 days while we endure this cold snap of -20 to -25 C every day. It's a great feeling to be independant.

However last PM I chose to let it burn out. I put smaller pieces in the stove before going to bed. It was almost a tear jerker LOL. All humor aside, I simply want to clean my ashes and see if my stove smells upon relight again.

Not to mention my wood provisions have swindled significantly. Initially when I purchased the stove, I was not planning on heating 24/7. I only had 3 cords of mixed hardwood and 1 cord of softwood. 24/7 chews into that quite nicely. Loading 3.1 cubic feet 4 times a day makes the wood pile shrink!

Anybody else let their stove go out recently?

Andrew

My stove has been out all week,(since Monday) my wife doesn't use the stove when i am out of town. Unfortunately i am going to be out of town for the whole month, and only home on the weekends.I cant wait to get home and get that baby started again.

Not until May or the house gets cold.

Just burning nights here lately after a record warm January. Last night got down to 44. Crocuses and camelias are blooming. Looks like a very early spring.

BeGreen said:
Just burning nights here lately after a record warm January. Last night got down to 44. Crocuses and camelias are blooming. Looks like a very early spring.

You've got to take some pics BG . . . sounds nice . . . around here there isn't really enough snow to have a nice winter-scape . . . but there is enough to make things look cold, bleak and barren.

The Oslo needs to be out to clean efficiently. Unfortunately we have to let ours go out every 2 weeks or so, clean it, then fire her right back up.

firefighterjake said:
BeGreen said:

You've got to take some pics BG . . . sounds nice . . . around here there isn't really enough snow to have a nice winter-scape . . . but there is enough to make things look cold, bleak and barren.

Boy Jake, you ain't kidding! It sure is bleak here too. Not much snow on the ground here in the Champlain Valley, but it is helping with getting out in the woods to cut/split firewood for next season.

Positive signs - longer daylight, and, uhhhh... well, that's all i got!?

24/7 burning continues strong in my neck of the woods - probably until early/mid March.

I've already started to slow down on the burning. For my location mid-December, January, and up to the middle of February or my big burn periods. Everything else would be defined as shoulder season. Sure it can get cold in October and November. And we have gotten snow in March. But, long stretches of cold do not start until mid-December and usually stop by mid-February. Seasonal average highs by February 15th is 42 degrees and by March 1st seasonal highs are at 46.

We're still burning 24/7 and will until at least mid-March. Our PE Vista insert doesn't hold a burn all night but in the early AM there are enough colas to fire her right up again. So essentially it's 24/7 for us.

It was only -9°C last night so we let the fire go out. I will make a fire after work but not likely to keep it going for very long. Looks like mild weather forecast through the weekend with highs of -5°C and lows of -13°C so the jury is still out on continuous fires in the near term. I've got a new pair of Salomon Active 8 Skate ski boots to break in this weekend.

http://www.salomon.com/caus/#/nordic/boots/boots/active-8-skate

If you are not using a match to get it re-lite, I would consider that 24/7. I used 1 match 4 weeks ago after I installed the Regenct I2100M insert in the beginning of January. Gonna let her die tomorrow night into Saturday to give her a monthly clean out. The ash adds up in the back after a while...

Great thread! Lots of great people responding.

I must admit that I have become obsessed with wood burning! LOL.

Not as much as me man! I live eat breathe wood and stoves lately!! :cheese: My wife can't wait until summer so I can think about some other obsession!!! :p

. . . around here there isn’t really enough snow to have a nice winter-scape . . . but there is enough to make things look cold, bleak and barren.

Same here, north central Massachusetts near Wachusset Mountain! It's 27 °F outside but looks as sunny as any a summer day. Even enough to warm up the picture window in the living room. Curtains wide open!

If you are not using a match to get it re-lite, I would consider that 24/7. I used 1 match 4 weeks ago after I installed the Regenct I2100M insert in the beginning of January. Gonna let her die tomorrow night into Saturday to give her a monthly clean out. The ash adds up in the back after a while…

I can't wait to get my new stove! With the little one I have we can't get a continuous burn. We use Diamond Strike-a-fire they work great in the mornings. Luckily, it has a great ash pan door that can be removed without touching by using a nifty tool that comes with the Surdiacs.

We let our two stoves go out last night at 7pm. The house reached 81 °F and all we wanted to do was nap. It was still 74 °F when I went to bed. So I never re-lit (won't do that again.) Woke up at 6:30am to a 63 °F house!! Then had to turn the evil oil furnace on and go back to bed for a half hour (this makes a grand total of 4 hours of oil use for the year!) When I got up again @7am to shut the heat off, light the stoves and wake up the kids it was 66 °F. I lit a fire in the stoves, drove the kids to school, got the wife and I Dunkin Donuts coffees and returned home @8:30am to a temperature of 76 °F ! Gotta love this wood thing!!!

My stove is out at night only because it is an old stove and will not keep the wood burning for more than 6 hours. Around here, 24/7 usually comes to an end in April.

Initially when I purchased the stove, I was not planning on heating 24/7.

I think this happens to a lot of people, did to me. I initially thought, "oh we'll be burning mostly nights and weekends", but when the bug bites ya and you start seeing the oilman less frequently and realize how good that wood heat feels, it's over with, full on addiction!

The GW wood boiler in the garage runs 24/7. We use the Liberty when temps are below 0 like last week. It was about 10* last night so I didn't have a fire inside. My house is so much easier to heat when temps are above 0.
Doug

Still going strong here...24/7. Fire was out over X-mas since I was away for a week (NG :cheese: ) It will be out again at the end of Feb. for two weeks (skiing :coolsmile: ) & hopefully once into March I will be able to cut out some days from the routine.

I have to say it has been a relatively easy winter so far....unlike over in the central US....

Ha.
Glad to see people commenting.

As I said, my stove was to be used as a secondary heat source. Well, that lasted..umm..1 week?! I realized: "I paid for this wood, I paid for this stove, I am gonna use it!" I had to BUY my first year's wood from a guy who seasons it properly. I have since cut my own and am now ahead of the game.

Not to mention my electricity bill from November 14th to Jan 14th was $200! Considering I have a 60 gallon hot water tank that costs me about $1.25 a day, that aint bad!

However, my stove is out right now. I gotta clean out all the ash.

The weather got cold this week and it doesn't feel like winter. This year in Jan we only received 35cm of snow. Last year in Jan we received 164cm. That's how this winter is going: there's barely any snow whatsoever. A normal winter around here is 400 cm total snowfall.

Andrew

Fires been going 24/7 last two weeks. I only had one match left and was waiting to see how long it would go. Fire went out today. I need to light it tonight and get some more matches just in case! Maybe have to use the propane torch and striker.

I guess we all tend to equate snow to cold but this year is a good example of it being cold without much snow. It's been windy a lot this year with storms passing by to the south of New England which means that we are definately in the cold stuff. No, it's not record breaking but it's great stove weather. With a soapstone stove it just plain works best 24/7. Last match?...maybe late November. Cleaning it, lol, about three weeks ago, with lots of ash built up, I took the inside pipe off where I get the most build up, took the cat out and blew it out, etc, put it back together, stirred around the deep ashes so they fell into the ash tray, and there, 28 hours after last loading were just enough embers to get a pile of wood detritus and birch bark right back up in flame. About every 10 to 15 days if there's a warmer spell up to 40ish, I'll let coals bury in ash so the stove's cool enough I can get the haze off the glass. It's typically that way until mid April.

I finally let the 30 die out while I went into town for provisions today. Cleaned it out when I got back and started it back up at sundown. Might as well get the place back up to temp. Snow is still on the ground and roof from the six inches this weekend and the most reliable forecaster is saying two feet plus in a 36 hour straight barrage starting around ten in the morning. And then again on Tuesday. By Sunday morning we should be in the record books for snowfall here since they have been keep records from the 1870's. The worst thing is going to be that this one is going to be the heavy wet stuff and sometimes at two inches an hour. We should lose electric power about five hours after it starts and not get it back for a week if history is any gauge.

There is a week's worth of wood stashed in various places in the house so here we go again. I have had to re-dig that path to the stacks four times already this year.

glassmanjpf said:
I only had one match left...
I ran out of matches a month ago and commented to the wife that "strike anywhere" matches are getting harder to find. Well... she found some and hoarded up on them so I have a lifetime supply now even if I were to start a new fire every day.

Speaking of which, the stove is cold again this morning.

I lit a fire in the new stove Dec 29 and haven't needed a match since.

Oh, and in case you run out of matches, they have these newfangled things called lighters these days - modern technology - when will it stop???? ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.