The Garn has arrived!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you ever get to a point where you feel there are too many of those 16 pointers running around I'd be more than happy to help you "thin the herd". Season was really poor up here. I think last winter was a lot harder on the speed beef than the DNR is acknowledging. My brother the butcher usually processes about 900-1100 in a normal year and they were down to about 700 this fall.

You are welcome to hunt anytime, heaterman. I like the nickname "speed beef", haven't heard that before. I think the season around here was pretty solid. No one pulled anything out of here, but I've been seeing big bucks for years over here. The garn sweater arrived today. Nicely packaged on a pallet. Forklift made quick work of it, into the barn. Wanted to unpack it, but not ready. It doesn't matter who transports things here, they ALWAYS get off the driveway after I specifically tell them I'll be pissed if they do.

Closed in back wall, insulated 2 walls with foamboard and had a nice visit with grandma. Will finish insulation easily tomorrow and start back in on sheet metal. Overrun with materials, all showing up at once!

What did you guys use to insulate the back wall where the flue comes out at?

I'm planning on using unfaced r-30 fiberglass batts. How close to the flue should the insulation go?

RowCropRenegade said:
What did you guys use to insulate the back wall where the flue comes out at?

I'm planning on using unfaced r-30 fiberglass batts. How close to the flue should the insulation go?

Reed,

I used the same "Rock wool" batts I used to insulate the cylinder. The "rockwool" can directly contact the vent surface. The insulation has a service temp of 1000F, but the facing is 150F. I removed the facing around the vent stack.

Finally to the point where I could start assembling some of the Garn. Got all of the elements in, 2 person job. I climbed down inside to steady the long electrodes while the gf twisted them in. Spent more time reading the three manuals than actually assembling. Motor on, door adjusted and a new list of things to chase down.

I'm 100% done insulating, including filling in gaps. I'm itchy and scratchy but at least moving on.

Here's a couple pics: The insulation job on the exterior walls took two days. 4 inches of XPS foam board and foaming the cracks. Took long time, but its 25 degrees out and the room is 60ish with a little ultra sonic heater. Very satisfied.

Took me about an hour to put on the heaterman garn sweater and am very pleased with it. Went together easy and fast, will look very professional when I can put the front and backs on.

Attachments

• DSC00537.jpg
    DSC00537.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 712
  • DSC00539.jpg
    DSC00539.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 711
Looks great Reed! Those new plated doors and cover plates add some nice bling to the green monster :coolsmirk:

Is that the Dectra electric supplement kit, or did you put together your own? Did you get the controller for the electric?

I just came in from loading the GARN. First load went from 140-158 in about 65 minutes with a full house load on it. After reloading flue temp climbed back up to 475 on a mix of red oak, silver maple and some EWP. She is just humming along, with a big column of water vapor the only outward sign she is burning. Snow/wind is blowing hard tonight. Upper teens for lows, and we are warm and smiling in a house with a silent oil furnace. Man, this NEVER gets old . . . :lol:

Jim, The Garn does have some new bling to it. Seems to be pretty durable too. I'm more into "what's under the hood" rather than the trim, but it's a nice addition. I call it the premium package I got. Electric backup wood/electric controller, 6 elements and box that has Garn name on the front. I recall it was a $ 500 kit in all. Hope I never need it.

If I get along half as well as you, I'll consider this first season a success.

I'm planning on putting a ball valve and cap on my drain outlet. Is brass the only option for the ball valve? It's stainless ball with brass body.

RowCropRenegade said:
I'm planning on putting a ball valve and cap on my drain outlet. Is brass the only option for the ball valve? It's stainless ball with brass body.

Don't know about large sizes, but I know I was able to get a stainless body / stainless ball valve for the vent fitting on our pool filter (1/4" NPT as I recall) Wasn't all that hard to find either, as I got it from either the local True Value or Home Despot - I forget which... They might also make a cast iron version, I'm not sure...

Gooserider

I had a great holidays, hope my hearth friends did too.

I'm finally done sheet metaling. Takes alot of time cutting it and figuring. The hallway is my primary wood storage area, with back access door to garn. It was difficult to assemble in the right order.

Had to finish the sheet metal cause of the material was taking up most the workspace. Got a guy to do the flashing around doorways so I can concentrate on piping.

Have spent alot of time documenting, taking pictures, rereading Dan holohan books, reading new and old posts on here. I've built a schematic of my current oil boiler piping and the new addition. I did make it out of legos. I'm planning on making a new thread in the coming days, cause I see it less related to the Garn and more so related to the entire boiler rooom.

I haven't purchased anything so far including pumps, heat exchanger and piping. Should be interesting.

Here's some eyecandy for you all.

Attachments

• DSC00552.jpg
    DSC00552.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 482
  • DSC00553.jpg
    DSC00553.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC00555.jpg
    DSC00555.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC00556.jpg
    DSC00556.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC00548.jpg
    DSC00548.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 487
RowCropRenegade said:
I had a great holidays, hope my hearth friends did too.

I'm finally done sheet metaling. Takes alot of time cutting it and figuring. The hallway is my primary wood storage area, with back access door to garn. It was difficult to assemble in the right order.

Had to finish the sheet metal cause of the material was taking up most the workspace. Got a guy to do the flashing around doorways so I can concentrate on piping.

Have spent alot of time documenting, taking pictures, rereading Dan holohan books, reading new and old posts on here. I've built a schematic of my current oil boiler piping and the new addition. I did make it out of legos. I'm planning on making a new thread in the coming days, cause I see it less related to the Garn and more so related to the entire boiler rooom.

I haven't purchased anything so far including pumps, heat exchanger and piping. Should be interesting.

Here's some eyecandy for you all.

Reed,
Looking Good! Happy New Year Too! I know you can't wait

I really like the Insulation Jacket. I have a Question regarding the Jacket. Does the Front Face insulation take the place of the Drywall wall recommended in the GARN install manual, or are you going to still install the wall? Heaterman did a very nice job on the jacket. Dectra should just offer that as an option for purchase when ordering the unit.

RowCropRenegade said:

When shopping for your HX, you may want to contact Chris Allis At Allis Online Store for pricing on his GBE line on heat exchangers. He was had the best numbers I could find, <$400 for a 5x12 50-Plate 1-1/4" MPT. His pump prices and fittings were comparable to elsewhere, but the HX is worth a look.

Keep up to good progress, and keep us posted.

Russ,

It's a process. Year end and holidays take up alot of time. But its piping season here. I'll be sure to check out what Chris Allis has. I haven't determined the size I need.

I'm NOT installing a front wall. Not required with this kit. Like heaterman says, you gotta get pretty wild to comprimise the front insulation. I love the accessbility without that wall. How is your Garn treating you during this cold spell?

Reed

RowCropRenegade said:
Russ,

It's a process. Year end and holidays take up alot of time. But its piping season here. I'll be sure to check out what Chris Allis has. I haven't determined the size I need.

Yea, I fully understand. It definitely takes time if you want the job done right!

RowCropRenegade said:
How is your Garn treating you during this cold spell?

Reed

So far so good!. Last night the temp bottomed out @15F, with a wind chill of 0. When I put the Garn to bed with a full load at 10PM, the water temp was 184F, and I just got in from firing it and walking the dogs at 7AM, and when I went out, the GARN was at 152F. Thats about 530,000 BTUs, or about 60K btus/hr. The house is about 70F. Not so bad. The one observation so far, is I seem to be burning more wood than I thought I would. Not sure why. It may be a learning experience on how much to burn, also I still have not finished the front insulating. I sent heaterman a pm to see if I could buy the front face insulation from him, instead of building the wall. I really like that system. I will figure it out.

Russ

Russ, this is my 4 th winter with the garn, my house is 85yrs old, insulation has been upgraded where possible during renovations, the temperature does not affect the heatloss as much as the wind does, this morning it is 10degf, but wind chill of -8degf, my heatloss is not far off yours,but with the wind sometimes the garn has a light lunch as well!

TCaldwell said:
Russ, this is my 4 th winter with the garn, my house is 85yrs old, insulation has been upgraded where possible during renovations, the temperature does not affect the heatloss as much as the wind does, this morning it is 10degf, but wind chill of -8degf, my heatloss is not far off yours,but with the wind sometimes the garn has a light lunch as well!
Tom,

I'm with you on the wind.....convection and maximum infiltration loss! I am working on building a one-wire temp sensor network(The data logger thread), and will be able to nail it down my GARN numbers a little better in the not to distant future. I have definitely noticed though cold without wind is easier to raise the temp, then cold and wind together, i.e. more BTUs/hr used. Today, wind gusts to 45 mph. Just put in a second load and it was 162F.

Status
Not open for further replies.