The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JRHAWK9

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2014
Wisconsin Dells, WI
OK, so I'm at my GF's mom's eating dinner and on the bench next to me I happen to see this book called, "The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate". I know she is a "tree hugger", for lack of a better term. A few years ago the conversation somehow was at a point where I made a statement in a joking matter, "it's not like the trees feel pain" and her reply was along the lines of, "yes they do". I kinda laughed it off.

Then I see her reading this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1771642483/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Just thought I'd post it here to see what some of the arborists think and see if anybody has ever read it.

Reactions: begreen
I haven't read that book but I have been studying about soil mycology in the past few years. We have a lot to learn. There is so much life under our feet when standing on good soil. In a single teaspoon of soil there are way more microbes than all the people on the planet.

The idea of trees (and plants) communicating was poo-pooed when first reported, but now there is a strong foundation of studies that show there is an amazing world of life underground that we are just starting to learn about.

Plants need healthy soil. Here is a cool animation about what is happening down there.

This longer Nature video is good too