The lighter the wood, the hotter it burns?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtownPA

Feb 15, 2007
Newtown, PA
Is it true that the lighter the wood, the hotter it burns - given same water percentage in both woods?

So, when I pick up a log that's really really heavy, this would be a good "all-nighter", right? (as long as it's heavy because it's not soaked)

NewtownPA said:
Is it true that the lighter the wood, the hotter it burns - given same water percentage in both woods?

So, when I pick up a log that's really really heavy, this would be a good "all-nighter", right? (as long as it's heavy because it's not soaked)
In theory that is correct.
Actually the heavy, dense wood, long burns. Light not as dense, quick hot burns. But also not much for coals with the lighter stuff. This stuff is good for fast heat up & getting a cold start going.
A nice mix during the day works for me, so that I don't have 6" of coals at night when loading ofr overnight. Then for overnight, big oak rounds & splits.

Hogwildz said:
NewtownPA said:

In theory that is correct.
Actually the heavy, dense wood, long burns. Light not as dense, quick hot burns. But alos not much for coals with the lighter stuff.
A nice mix during the day works for me, so that I don't have 6" of coals at night when loading ofr overnight. Then for overnight, big oak rounds & splits.

Ok thanks!

Hey, have a cold one! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 278
Status
Not open for further replies.