The New To Me Lopi Republic 1750, Is Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Went and picked it up today, 3 years old, it has a brick cracked and needs door gasket, other than that looks great, :) got the 1 year old $250 blower with it to :cool:
EDIT: Got it off a CL add, $450
IMG_20130818_192210.jpg

Yea. Looks like it made the trip fine.

Reactions: HDRock
Oh ya ! forgot ,took off one wood side on trailer , we loaded it with the sellers tractor , won't be so easy peazzy getin it in the house ;lol

This is exactly the stove I have, and really like it a lot.

Congratulations on your new find and I trust it will treat you well.

This is exactly the stove I have, and really like it a lot.

Congratulations on your new find and I trust it will treat you well.
Thanks
Got it off a CL add, $450
I will treat her to some nice dry wood ==c

Reactions: PapaDave
Nice stove, great deal! :cool: Keep the pics coming as the install progresses. :)

Reactions: HDRock and PapaDave
Nice stove, great deal! :cool: Keep the pics coming as the install progresses. :)
Replacing this 8 cu ft fire box, Smoke Dragon,36" long,24" round box ,28" hi, can load 30 to 36" log, 36 diagonally .
IMG_20121027_234231.jpg

Yea. Looks like it made the trip fine.
I should have put a pipe on it ,lit a fire and, cruse on down ,cruse on down , cruse on down the road ;lol would that be a sight ;lol

That should reduce wood consumption. Is that an old Orley?

To spite the stove I was able to burn fairly clean But , A Lot Of Attention

This Lopi seems like a toy ;lol I know better

That should reduce wood consumption.
According to the literature, the Fire-View has "efficient burning capabilities." That was written a few years ago, though. ;)
Can't quite read the specs on how many BTUs that is supposed to toss....

Great stove... you'll love the secondary show and will get surprisingly long burn times with the 2.2ft box. Last year we didn't have the blower as the radiant heat worked really well. We just installed the blower for the upcoming year. This thing loves dry wood and, depending on your draft and chimney set-up, rarely has start-up or control issues.

ps For $450 you're close to the "craigslist deal of the summer" on that one...

Reactions: HDRock and PapaDave
Even though I had that big stove, I have been cutting every thing to 17"-18" , good thing, so now I won't have to re-cut

Thanks
Got it off a CL add, $450
I will treat her to some nice dry wood ==c
With the fan and a 15% discount because they had the unit up as a display, I paid $1,800 and change.

Assuming it's in as fine condition as it appears in the pictures, you did very well, indeed.

I love a great deal even if it's not me who is getting it!

Found a great Lopi dealer 10mi away, got every thing I needed, the proper door gasket and adhesive ,a couple of other small things, stove bright paint.
They have a lot of stoves on display, the guy was very knowledgeable, and did not mind at all, answering the 100 questions I asked him

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Great stove... you'll love the secondary show and will get surprisingly long burn times with the 2.2ft box. Last year we didn't have the blower as the radiant heat worked really well. We just installed the blower for the upcoming year. This thing loves dry wood and, depending on your draft and chimney set-up, rarely has start-up or control issues.

ps For $450 you're close to the "craigslist deal of the summer" on that one...
Any tips on running it?
My first EPA stove, and This is the second stove I have ever had :)

With the fan and a 15% discount because they had the unit up as a display, I paid $1,800 and change.

Assuming it's in as fine condition as it appears in the pictures, you did very well, indeed.

I love a great deal even if it's not me who is getting it!
Any tips on running it?

Got the old out and the Lopi in , just have to get it up on 12" hi hearth ==c

Any tips on running it?

Got the old out and the Lopi in , just have to get it up on 12" hi hearth ==c
Yes, the weight is impressive! Don't put the bricks back in until you get it where you want it!

I'm really new to wood stoves, and all I learned, I learned from the helpful folks on this site.

This stove seems to work best if you build a small, hot fire and really get it going with the air control wide-open. After it's going well, add more wood with it still open and then damp it down slowly to control your wood consumption. I've had no trouble getting it to last the night if I fill it up before we go to bed; I can shut the air control all the way down and keep it burning through the night.

I have had lots of trouble with the thermostat in the blower. The original problem was that it was in the wrong location (BG helped me sort that out). And then, once I got it into the right position, it worked well for awhile and then got really inconsistent (i.e., it would come on at 400F, stay on for a few minutes and shut down again, off and on even at 500 and 600F). I finally just took the thermostat out and jumped across the circuit to hard-wire it to the blower. I had the dealer order me a new thermostat over the summer, and will install it again soon to give it another try. If it doesn't work well, I will probably just permanently wire the fan to the blower (with no thermostat), as I like being able to turn it on whenever I want to -- the only downside is if the fire dies and we aren't paying attention, the blower just keeps on blowing.

Oh, and I also had trouble knowing what to do with the blower control. We have a corner install, and the cord was too short to attach it to the wall in back of the stove. I ended up getting some powerful little magnets and attached it to the heat shielding in the back. It doesn't get very hot, and it's nice and convenient.

Good luck with your new stove! Understanding that I don't know very much, if you have any questions specific to the 1750, I'm always happy to try and answer them. I'm guessing, however, you will probably know more about it than I do before the week is out. :)

Reactions: BuckthornBonnie
Way to go HD looks like a nice stove ! You should be real warm this year.

Pete

Well said, 1750. I'll add that there's a bit of a learning curve with any EPA stove, but the 1750 makes the transition a bit easier. The single-lever control on my Spokane is almost idiot-proof. I find that there's a "sweet spot" you'll just have to discover by messing with different loads. I got it a bit hot a few times this winter, but nothing a box fan and time couldn't control. I rake the hot coals forward and like to do cigar burns on overnight loads. I also pack it pretty darn full but am mindful of it all going off at once. My parents have an old 1980s-era Blaze King (smokedragon) that I was used to operating before the 1750... there's a big difference haha.
A hot and small fire at startup is usually the key to a great burn. Obviously don't throw a ton of super-dry wood on a hot coal bed, that's a quick way to get things going a little too hot. I'm OCD about my glass, so I keep a paper towel or two handy to wipe down any residue or haze as soon as it appears. I think we had dirty glass no more than 3 times all winter (not the best wood, at times). Like I said before, dry wood will set off an amazing secondary show. I specifically remember a couple loads of cherry that were pretty darn sweet.
In terms of clean-up, I remove my double wall connector and clean it on my deck (right near the stove). Then I run my brushes up from the clean-out T. I have quite a bit of chimney and the cap extends pretty far up from my roofline. So far, so good on the cap staying clean. At most I've gotten about 2 cups of dusty material out of the pipes. It'll be even better this year since I'll be burning better wood. I vacuum out the stove, check the tubes and baffle bricks, then fire her back up. The total job is about an hour or so and I did it every month during a warm-up.
If I think of anything else I'll PM ya... good luck and have fun with it!

Welcome to the good side of The Force. Be patient with the learning curve. Things gonna be different but you have been around here long enough to see lots of the threads with folks getting settled in with new burners.

And that is a hell of a deal ya got there.

BTW: Have I ever mentioned that steel stoves rule!

Status
Not open for further replies.