the outside air topic....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tedzap

Jul 27, 2009
Southwest Virginia
I bought a Jotul F3CB ont he advice of this forum, I think it is going to work well for me.

I have done some searching about the topic of outside air and see arguments for and against. My situation is that the space to be heated is fairly small (768 sf) and extremely tight (new construction, windows, and doors). I guess that if anyone needs some outside air it is me.

The F3CB doesn't have a direct vent kit available, so I am thinking about fabricating something that will bring air in right behind the stove on the hearth. Is there any hardware out there to make this job easier? I am thinking of some sort of outside flapper that would only open if the house "wanted" air? What about some sort of manually operated valve?

Thanks in advance,
-Ted

tedzap said:
so I am thinking about fabricating something that will bring air in right behind the stove on the hearth.

I wouldn't. Get it installed, and give it a try before ya go onto a project like that. You may be surprised at just how "air tight" your home is.

tedzap, I like the treehouse project.

thanks, sometimes it seems like I'll never get done... but at least I now have lights and tunes to work by. As it gets colder the woodstove install is going to get pushed up the priority list.

I am going to build a ramp from the deck up onto the bank where I'll keep the woodpile. That way it will be away from the house and "above" the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.