The Outside Air Vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mascoloj

Oct 29, 2008
Middletown, CT
My outside air vent is not installed on my stove. It really doesn't bother me but I had an idea and wanted to see if I could get some thoughts about it. I was thinking of running the vent up to my second floor so it could suck the cooler air into the stove. I have a small fan in the stairwell (opposite side of house) blowing warm air up and it does a good job at it. I was thinking that the vent might help to complete the air-flow cycle a little better and put that cooler air to good use. The only thing I can see being a problem is that the airflow through the vent may be poor so the stove may not burn as well.

Anyways - your thoughts for a penny

Everything that I read, been told and found through my own experience is that there is nothing better than going straight out the back ot the stove to the outside. The shorter the OAK the better...and sucking air from the inside causes a negative pressure situation. That being said, I think your best best would be to find a way to vent it to the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.