The way i clean my stove glass!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the ash and water method safe for ceramic glass or will it cause small scratches all around? Thanks.

turbocruiser said:
Is the ash and water method safe for ceramic glass or will it cause small scratches all around? Thanks.

Yes, the towels, ash, and water are safe. You won't harm your glass using these. This is an old process that has been used for years. An old stove tech guy told me about doing this 20 years ago. I remember him say "it sounds crazy but it works".Their are still many folks that don't know about it. Newspaper works well for the initial first water and ash clean, then go with the towels and water. I don't usually have newspapers handy since my wife takes them to her mother to read a few towns away. ha ha.

Just get in a habit of doing it when your stove is pretty cool or cold before you revive it. I have just opened the door and let it cool off for a while if the stove is a little to warm. You don't need much ash just a dip of the well burned light gray ash is plenty good. Do avoid cleaners with amonia for sure, which over time can harm the ceramic glass.

If you happen to be old like me a nice little fold out stool is pretty compfy when doing this. But really, it doesn't take more then 2 minutes tops. Should I say "Just ash it away".

embers aplenty said:
turbocruiser said:

Yes, the towels, ash, and water are safe. You won't harm your glass using these. This is an old process that has been used for years. An old stove tech guy told me about doing this 20 years ago. I remember him say "it sounds crazy but it works".Their are still many folks that don't know about it. Newspaper works well for the initial first water and ash clean, then go with the towels and water. I don't usually have newspapers handy since my wife takes them to her mother to read a few towns away. ha ha.

Just get in a habit of doing it when your stove is pretty cool or cold before you revive it. I have just opened the door and let it cool off for a while if the stove is a little to warm. You don't need much ash just a dip of the well burned light gray ash is plenty good. Do avoid cleaners with amonia for sure, which over time can harm the ceramic glass.

If you happen to be old like me a nice little fold out stool is pretty compfy when doing this. But really, it doesn't take more then 2 minutes tops. Should I say "Just ash it away".

Wow that's awesome to know; my owner's manual says to avoid anything that is at all abrasive and I was thinking that ash was abrasive enough to scratch the ceramic. I'll give it a try because right now I'm using two different Rutland products and I am convinced that they work well but also that they are pretty pricey compared to "free"! Thanks Again.

You know. It seems that so many people have found different secret ways to clean the brown off stove glass that I'm beginning to suspect that cleaning stove glass just isn't that difficult and therefore does not need a "secret" recipe. You know - about like cleaning dishes - just hot water, dish soap, and elbow grease.

I'm in the water only camp at this point. Burning real dry wood this year and every few weeks, I'll wipe off the light haze with a damp paper towel. Usually use a few paper towels to get off the haze, then a couple more to really get the glass nice and clean. No scrubbing, no ash, no problem. Last year, with less dry wood, I had to scrub a lot more. Yet another reason to burn nice dry wood! Cheers!

nice clean burns here require me to only use water and a paper towel. If I do have some brown stuff, a bit of ash takes care of it.

I have also heard (from my installer/dealer) NOT to use any cleaning chemicals on the glass... YMMV.

I believe ammonia is 1 of em.

glassmanjpf said:
I have been using wet paper towels (hot water) dipped in ash to clean, then just the hot water on paper towel to clean off the ash residue. Been doing it for years. Use only 4 paper towels. How cheap is that?

this guy

Adios Pantalones said:
DaFattKidd said:
Adios Pantalones said:
Burn hot- there's no black to worry about. Wipe the glass off with just plain water.

Takes me about 1 minute to get perfectly clean glass.

Pantelones what kind of stove do you have?

Hampton HI300 insert

Oh fancy.

or should I say, "Doctor Pantelones?" he he...

If you are using cleaners - I would suggest that you be careful of your over spray. I used a glass or counter cleaner my first year. My wood was not good, so I needed to clean the glass. Some of the over spray got on the front of the stove near the hinge and ate the paint away on a new stove.

If my glass gets dusty now, I only use plain water on a sponge and follow with a paper towel. If I get something stubborn - alittle dip of the sponge into ash does the trick.

Maybe baking soda and water? I make a paste with it to take the stains off of my beaker teapot.

Status
Not open for further replies.