The Windhager PuroWIN wood chip boiler has arrived . . . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
those are not pretty chips. if those are burning well, with all those fines, that's impressive. clean chips will be super nice.

Would chips from a tree trimming company like Asplundh, Nelson, etc, work? The last I read several years ago was that the chip size had to be fairly small.

Chip size "G50"
not to many long stings and preferably not to many fines
on average 3/4" chip size
you will need to dry them somewhat.
Green chips generate lots of condensate

My wood chips finally gave up on sticking togetter.

This started me thinking of drying them from the top, instead of blowing air from underneath.
Would probably require much less air and a much smaller blower.

IMG_2697.JPG

Last edited:
I would set my bin heater so that hot air was blown in at different levels of the bin. I think you said you are using hot air.

I might try some 2" pipes around my bin at different levels and just run hot water through them and let chips fall over them to bottom feed. If chips are hot you would not need air, moisture would come out.

My boiler room runs at 100 degrees so i can dry a box of wood splits just by letting it sit in there for 3 weeks.

larger better chips would dry better, as they have better air flow.
have you been running the heater/blower?
what sort of static pressure are you running in the lower plenum?

Drying wood chips or sawdust is a very difficult task and not easily accomplished as the chips or sawdust have to be agitated so that flowing air gets beneath the surface layer which adds complexity, handling and cost to this fuel source in addition to a large volume of space to process. If allowed to sit in a pile, wood chips will mold before they dry. In Austria they cut saplings and leave them to dry for a year under cover before chipping them to ensure that the M.C. is low. Can't trick Father Time easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.