The wonders of physics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mynx

Sep 7, 2021
Chatham, MI (UP)
I have to laugh at myself. I think of myself as a reasonably intelligent person but sometimes things slip by. You may recall from some of my earlier posts that I had quite an adventure with leaks in my Garn two seasons ago. Last year went great with absolutely no problems, but I am still very paranoid about water on the floor in the boiler room and every time I go in there I cautiously peer around the back hoping not to see water. Well, in my preseason prep for this year, I checked the water chemistry and checked the water level. I was surprised to see the water level down a good 6 to 8 inches from where I thought it should be. Of course, I immediately thought there must be a leak someplace but I didn’t know about it. I went ahead and filled the tank up to 3 inches below the top and started my burn season. As it hasn’t been terribly cold yet I have been only firing it once a day to once every other day and only up to the mid 150s. It’s getting colder and we’re supposed to get snow tonight so I built a big fire to bring the temperature up. I went back to check on it an hour or so after I lit the fire and low and behold there is water all over the floor. It immediately dawned on me that water expands when it gets hot! In fact, water expands 4% between room temperature and boiling. I didn’t boil it, getting to 182° but certainly enough to expand the water which ended up on my floor. Again, I had a chuckle as I was mopping the floor. If nothing else, my floor is clean :)