The wood fairy cometh

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
For the first time a tree service that advertised free wood actually delivered. (Literally.) Two half truckloads dumped off this morning, mostly a mix of cedar and red maple. Certainly not the best wood available around here, but I already have a bunch of locust and hickory and all the red oak I care to haul, so I was actually looking for some lighter and quicker-to-season stuff. And you can't beat the price. (In the pics, the split stuff closest to the house I scrounged myself earlier.)

FYI, if anyone else in the MD/DC area wants in on the action: http://www.takomatree.com
They said they'd bring more if I wanted it, they try to give all their wood away but they still wind up dumping some. Usual tree service caveats apply: many big rounds, some need further cutting, and an assortment of lengths including many in the annoying 20"-24" ranges.

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 525
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 525
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 558
Nice time to go to work!

Disco, both cedar and soft maple make excellent kindling too. It lights fast and easy, burns hot and quick. The larger maple splits will last a fair amount of time but we try to burn most of it during daytime and in the spring and fall. It also will season with just one summer. Looks like you've done good for yourself.

Oh, there will be no shortage of kindling this year. Usually I weed out the shorter straight-grained white pine and cedar logs for kindling. (The red pine family logs never seem to be straight grained.) We go through a lot of kindling due to the extended shoulder seasons here.

Could be, they said cedar but I didn't split any yet or look too hard, most of it is under the maple. It does look like hemlock bark, though, doesn't it? And it seems a little big for cedar also. So we'll go with hemlock. About the same for burning purposes.

I don't know .... if they hear you calling them the wood Fairies they might dump the next load in your living room. :ahhh:

I'd love to have a tree service dump wood on my driveway. Even pine would be ok.

I'm wondering what tree fairies look like. Tutus with tights?

Matt

Nice haul/ right price~

Hey I'd burn whatever I could get if it was delivered to my yard...you're very lucky to get service like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.