The Yule Log

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EDGE

Sep 28, 2008
Northeastern ND
From a footnote to "Christmas Eve" in Irving's "The Sketchbook of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent."

"The yule clog is a great log of wood, sometimes the root of a tree, brought into the house with great ceremony, on Christmas eve, laid in the fire-place, and lighted with the brand of last year's clog. While it lasted, there was great drinking, singing, and telling tales. Sometimes it was accompanied by Christmas candles; but in the cottages, the only light was from the ruddy blaze of the great wood fire. The yule clog was to burn all night: if it went out, it was considered a sign of ill luck. ...
This yule clog is still burnt in many farm-houses and kitchens in England, particularly in the north; and there are several superstitions connected with it among the peasantry. If a squinting person come into the house while it is burning, or a person barefooted, it is considered an ill omen. The brand remaining from the yule clog is carefully put away to light the next year's Christmas fire."

I am wishing you all a merry, old Christmas!, with a great, glowing log and a green tree full of lights with lots of presents underneath!

Oh, I didn't know that...thanks for the heads up.

OK, so now I have to go out into the frozen tundra that is my back yard and search the "to do" pile for the biggest yet most well seasoned hunk of unsplittable knarly wood out there?

Kidding- it's a lovely tradition that I didn't previously understand- thanks EDGE :)
I shall search my woodpile with good cheer!

I've always wondered how they keep the Yule Log burning. Do they burn one big log by itself? Or do they let some other smaller logs/splits snuggle up to it to help keep it warm?

-SF

Why is it call a clog and not a log?

For years now, we have applied the term "yule log" to any oversized and unsplittable chunk of wood. In fact, it has become almost comical at splitting time. I now merely utter the phrase "yule log" and my helpers, (family members usually), know it means " Screw it...move on the the next one." er, to phrase it politely.

I have just gotten back from spending Christmas with family.

savageactor7: You're wecome!

Cearbhaill: I think you got the message: Keep Christmas well!

SlyFerret: I think that it was one, big log. The idea was to have one log that would burn for days. Then, they kept the coals from it to start the fire for the next year's yule log.

johnsopi: I was just quoting from Irving. However, a clog is a "block of wood" and that is pretty much like big log.

granpajohn: I wonder if this naming for a too-big log came down to you from an earlier generation. I think, though, that in earlier times, the yule log was a special thing, and not a reject.

Status
Not open for further replies.