Thelin Pellet Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgambuzza

Mar 12, 2006
Syracuse, NY
When we removed our old octopus - gravity fed furnace, and replaced it with a 90% efficient furnace we thought it would be the answer to our high utility bills. It reduced the gas bills, but they still remained high. We've gone to pellets as a matter of economics - 2 tons of pellets purchased at their peak last winter (which lasted me from January till the end of winter) was equal to one months gas bill in our old house. The move to pellets was a wise choice!

We have 3 greyhounds and set up part of the basement as an apartment for them, but heating the area was always a task. I thought maybe we could utilize the old chimney and connect a coal or pellet stove. I originally started with the Thelin Gnome for a basement heater. We like the looks of this stove, as it looked period to our early 20th century home. Although the Gnome worked very well, it was undersized as the best temperature we could maintain in Upstate NY winters was about 65 degrees. Fortunately our dealer allowed us to upgrade to the Thelin Parlor 3000 which is substantially larger and has done an impressive job heating our 1300sq ft basement area. We've been using this for a couple of months last year and so far this year with impressive results. Congrats to Thelin for making such a great product!

Attachments

• GnomeRoom.JPG
    GnomeRoom.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,154
Closeup of Gnome

Attachments

• GnomeClose.JPG
    GnomeClose.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,188
Here's the Parlor 3000 that replaced it

Attachments

• Parlor3000.JPG
    Parlor3000.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,214
...and a picture of the Greys in front of the Vermont Castings Winter Warm Large insert in our living room....

Attachments

• TheGreys.jpg
    TheGreys.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 970
Wow! The pups get their own TV, furniture and stove.

... here's the final product...fire maxed out, pipe painted, and now more comfortable than ever....

I thought to add some perspective that I should also include a picture of the old setup when we bought this house. Although a bit blurry the unit on the left is the old gravity furnace, a pile of junk in the middle, and the window towards the upper right is the one that now has bee replaced and now with curtains. Amazing what a "little" elbow grease can do....

Attachments

• FinalBasem.jpg
    FinalBasem.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,167
  • ThelinSpaceBefore.jpg
    ThelinSpaceBefore.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 819
Status
Not open for further replies.