Thelin Stove - Low DC voltage to exhaust fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fishstyx

Feb 21, 2017
Carlisle, PA
I'm on the 11th year with a Thelin Providence insert stove. Over the years I've become quite familiar with rebuilding the exhaust fan as the bearings or brushes fail. This year the stove started fine, but after a few weeks the fan RPM started to drop. I figured the motor had failed early so I swapped it with a newer one I had handy. The newer one bench tested strong and strangely, the fan I just removed also bench tested strong. After installing the newer fan, RPMs were a bit higher, but still low, and over night the fan slowed to a crawl.

The stove is clean, there are no obstructions or fan interference. The electrical connections are clean and tight. I appear to be getting low DC voltage from the fan control circuit. I'm about to pull the unit to do more testing. If the fan control is bad, I think it's part of the main board which is an expensive fix.

I'm considering the install of a separate manual fan control. This will be a simple variable 12v DC power supply with a knob installed in the existing panel. This will give me independent control of fan RPM so I can fine tune to air-flow for max efficiency. All of the other stove safety sensors would be unaffected (exhaust flow, over temp, etc) so I don't see a safety issue and I can install a separate fan power supply for a fraction of the cost of a new controller board.

Thoughts?