Thermal mass!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiffy1

Nov 13, 2008
SD
I thought about trying to calculate it out, but thought it would be more fun to post here. I'll be moving 7500lb of cast iron and steel tractor into the shop soon (roughly 12X25X8, no insulation, siding over shiplap), just curious how long I'll have to have that stove stoked good to get up to say 60F. And moreso, if I stoke it up good at night maybe get into the 70s and let it die down for the night, what will it feel like in there the next day.

Lets say teens outside; right now 70s inside and some nice coals + couple round logs overnight leaves me in the 30s and a few coals 8 hours later. Still too many variables?!

280.128 Degrees Kelvin.

If this morning was indicative Jags, you wouldn't believe how close your WAG was! Of course that was only 7hours, but the tractor had far from absorbed much heat and I found a few more obvious drafty spots to take care of too.

You know...insulation doesn't look half bad if you take your time stapling it up nice and neat.

You working in there very day all winter? I don't know how warm you'll get the shop - but there is a lot to be said for being able to take breaks and lunch next to the stove or warm your fingers up quick from time to time.

spiffy1 said:
280.128 Degrees Kelvin.

If this morning was indicative Jags, you wouldn't believe how close your WAG was! Of course that was only 7hours, but the tractor had far from absorbed much heat and I found a few more obvious drafty spots to take care of too.

It was more of a SWAG than a WAG. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.