Thermo-Disc and Fan/Limit Control?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jedi_jackson

Jan 9, 2018
Virginia
I have a Thermo Pride WC-27 wood furnace and I'm new to wood furnaces and my furnace has a thermo-disc (snap disc) and a fan/limit control wired into the thermostat. Is this a normal set-up, or should it have one or the other? The fan/limit switch seems to be the one that is turning on my blower, but I don't know if the snap disc has any purpose wired with it.

I think snap discs are usually just used as a safety measure in case the controller has a failure and gets stuck open. It's likely wired in series with the main power feed to the control circuitry, so as to "pull the plug" on the fan/air valves in case of an over temperature situation.