Thermometer alarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian VT

Minister of Fire
Jul 30, 2008
Southern VT
I'm thinking about getting one of these:
http://www.professionalequipment.co...logger-with-alarm-421509/k-type-thermocouple/

One thermocouple could be attached to the stove collar and set to alarm when approaching overfire temp. and the other could be attached to my class A to alarm for a chimney fire ? I don't know if you can have 2 settings like that. Or one could be a probe type for the flue gas temp. but I don't think that would detect a chimney fire in my through-the-wall setup.
I'm guessing it's no louder than a microwave beep, but it's something. I'd have to buy higher temp. thermocouples. I found bolt-on ones for $29 that go to 900 F. I'd have to figure out what temp. on the outside of class A would suggest a chimney fire.
At the very least it's a nice, accurate thermometer and a "You forgot to close the damper, dummy !" alternative to a timer.
Your thoughts ?

What ? Too geeky ? lol

sure i don't see why it wouldn't work

I think a temp monitor/ alarm is a great idea. I have 2 of them. One is an IMS unit that I got for free. The other is one I built.
I like them much better than a thermometer. The high and low temp alarm feature is really useful, you can burn kiln dried wood like pallets without worrying about over firing. You can get a fire started quickly and get the stove up to temp fast. The low temp alarm can be set to let you know when it's time to put more wood in the stove.

I think if you wanted to detect a chimney fire you should install a probe at the top of the chimney.

Here is some more info from a previous post.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/21198/

Attachments

• Picture 134.jpg
    Picture 134.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Picture 121.jpg
    Picture 121.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 193
Doh ! I'm usually pretty good about searching 1st but I guess I had tunnel vision that day. Sorry.
Nice job with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.