Thermometer discrepancy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tilloslo

Apr 12, 2022
California
My new Jotul Oslo v3 F500 came with a probe thermostat that you install into a hole on the right outer side wall. The first “break in fire” the thermostat didnt do a thing( didnt move) The first break in fire should be around 200 degrees. I checked the magnet all was good. The second “break-in fire”should be about 300 degrees. Had husband pick up a different thermostat to place on top on fireplace in the corner its currently reading at 300 degrees. Perfect 👍🏻 but the side wall probe thermostat now reads 1000 degrees. Whats going on? Which is it? First fire the sidewall probe thermostat doesnt move and figured it was broken now its reading 1000 degrees while the new thermostat reads 300 on top. Any thoughts? Thanks

Sidewall temp probe appears to be measuring your Catalyst temp. Sounds reasonable but closely following your operators manual should clarify. Welcome to Hearth. Enjoy the new stove.

Reactions: Tilloslo
Yes, that's the catalyst probe (thermometer, not thermostat). It'd be good to read up on how a catalyst operates as it'll give you reasons why the temperature shot up like that.

As far as I can see, it seems to work properly.

Reactions: Tilloslo