Thermometer for a woodstove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveDave

Hearth Supporter
Jan 13, 2008
South Shore
Reading through the forums I see the importance of a thermometer, however I don't know how I would use one with my wood stove insert? The insert is flush with the fireplace and the face plate covers up any access to the chimney to see the stove pipe. The stove has a porcelain enamel finish, so nothing would stick there either (even though I know the proper spot is on the pipe). I figured there would be a thermometer with a wire that could attach to the pipe and run to gauge that runs to a viewable location, but I haven't yet found such a product. How is this typically accomplished?

Thanks,
David

Hmmm, I don't know if that would work, as the blowers vent through the top of the stove, then on top of that is a porcelain plate where I have a half pot with water. I don't know if the reading would be very accurate there?

I use a laser thermometer with my Regency i3100. Aside from aiming the beam everywhere (for fun, to detect draft spots around the house, etc.), I use it to "touch" the top pipe going up the liner and at various points along the face and even the interior of the stove. Got mine through Harbor Freight for about $35. Even though the box said the top temperature was 514, it registers temperatures all the way up to 1100. H.

Status
Not open for further replies.