Thermometer options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
Hey all, I am in the middle of converting to a full Ventis class A setup with a double wall connector pipe. I am trying to really optimize my setup. With that being said I have been looking at digital temp gauges like those offered from Auber Instruments.

However I’m not a fan of a bunch of visible electronics (this stove is also decorative and the focal point of our first floor)

Are there any other more discreet options out there? I would go with a mechanical stove pipe mounted option but I am worried about accuracy (I’ve had bad experiences with BBQ thermometers)

Also the mechanical options out there all say 450-600 for flue temp is the safe zone. Is this the case for a stove with a cat?

what would you all do?

Last edited:
Hey all, I am in the middle of converting to a full Ventis class A setup with a double wall connector pipe. I am trying to really optimize my setup. With that being said I have been looking at digital temp gauges like those offered from Auber Instruments.

However I’m not a fan of a bunch of visible electronics (this stove is also decorative and the focal point of our first floor)

Are there any other more discreet options out there? I would go with a mechanical stove pipe mounted option but I am worried about accuracy (I’ve had bad experiences with BBQ thermometers)

Also the mechanical options out there all say 450-600 for flue temp is the safe zone. Is this the case for a stove with a cat?

what would you all do?

The actual woodstove flue probe meters label 400-900 as the safe or normal zone. I have both the electrical probe meter and a mechanical probe so I can say that the mechanical tests to match. The mechanical does not react as quickly though.

If you don’t like the looks of wires then a mechanical is perfectly functional. Don’t buy a cheap bbq meter.

any recomendations on what brand to use?

Condar for mechanical and auber for electrical. The electrical can be mounted on the back of the pipe so it is mostly out of sight.

Reactions: Rob_Red
Hi Rob_Red, I put a probe thermometer on a double wall pipe and it works very well, very fast reaction on heat changes. First time I get one since only 40yrs of burning experiences : wood, anthracite, pellets and back to wood. But the good thing is that there are always some new things to learn and forums are good places for that.

Attachments

• IMG_6392.JPG
    IMG_6392.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: Rob_Red
That’s a condar in nortcan’s photo. My current condar is about 15 years old and is like new after 60+ cords have been past it. I liked it so much I bought two surface meters from them too. The mechanical probe works with no power and looks decent. The color ranges help inexperienced operators.

The electric is higher performance, much faster and more precise. It’s lit up so you can read it from farther away. But yes, it’s a nerdy looking device with wires.

You can have both!

That’s a condar in nortcan’s photo. My current condar is about 15 years old and is like new after 60+ cords have been past it. I liked it so much I bought two surface meters from them too. The mechanical probe works with no power and looks decent. The color ranges help inexperienced operators.

The electric is higher performance, much faster and more precise. It’s lit up so you can read it from farther away. But yes, it’s a nerdy looking device with wires.

You can have both!
Just to show us how the electric one looks like, do you have a photo of it , if possible ?

Man you’re all making this a tough choice! I was thinking I could make some sort of furniture to hold the digital thermometer that sits to the side of the stove. Although it may make sense just to KISS and stick with the mechanical unit

I have a Condar like in post #5 this thread. It is indeed not an instant read unit, but more than serviceable. I have thought about taking it apart to tone down the colors a bit with a repaint, something like light gray, dark gray and black with the white needle.

Hi Rob_Red, I put a probe thermometer on a double wall pipe and it works very well, very fast reaction on heat changes. First time I get one since only 40yrs of burning experiences : wood, anthracite, pellets and back to wood. But the good thing is that there are always some new things to learn and forums are good places for that.
Nort, shoe is more live of your stove. If I’m not mistaken that is a duel fuel, right? Would love to see more pics of it in the inside and hear more details. Is it a Morso Squirrel? Looks like it or similar. Do both air knobs work? That’s what I need for the shoulder season.

Nort, shoe is more live of your stove. If I’m not mistaken that is a duel fuel, right? Would love to see more pics of it in the inside and hear more details. Is it a Morso Squirrel? Looks like it or similar. Do both air knobs work? That’s what I need for the shoulder season.
Yes it's a Morso Squirrel, we use it in a small living room ( 10 X 16) but having a wide double doors opening to the rest of the first floor. In fac it was there just for ambience fires but it surprised us so much when it keept the house to a warm temp. for quite a long time. The fire box is very small and takes ideally 10 to 12 inches max **logs**. The Squirrel is quite new for us but we like it . The small wood is a big change from the Heritage able to take 21 in. logs. Only the top knob works, the lower in spot welded, it is for European Country burning wood and other combustibles. There are some other threads here about Morso products but I don't remember the titles.

I like the auber unit because I can run the readout to a remote location. This house it is in the living room above the stove. The old house it was on the desk in the office.

Reactions: mar13
I agree, the reading colors are not the very best, with low lighting it becomes not so evident .
Yeah they aren't easy in low light. Luckily after a little of using it you won't really need to read it that much. You will know pretty well by look of the stove. But you really need the thermometer to get that figured out. I also like the alarm on the auber Incase you get distracted and forget to shut the stove back

Yeah they aren't easy in low light. Luckily after a little of using it you won't really need to read it that much. You will know pretty well by look of the stove. But you really need the thermometer to get that figured out. I also like the alarm on the auber Incase you get distracted and forget to shut the stove back
What do you mean by : the alarm with the auber ......., how does it work for that ?

What do you mean by : the alarm with the auber ......., how does it work for that ?
You set a temp where an alarm goes off actually there are 2 you can set.

Reactions: nortcan
Yes it's a Morso Squirrel, we use it in a small living room ( 10 X 16) but having a wide double doors opening to the rest of the first floor. In fac it was there just for ambience fires but it surprised us so much when it keept the house to a warm temp. for quite a long time. The fire box is very small and takes ideally 10 to 12 inches max **logs**. The Squirrel is quite new for us but we like it . The small wood is a big change from the Heritage able to take 21 in. logs. Only the top knob works, the lower in spot welded, it is for European Country burning wood and other combustibles. There are some other threads here about Morso products but I don't remember the titles.
That was supposed to say show us more pictures of your stove. Darn autocorrect!

I seen a thread on here where a person ground the spot weld off so the bottom air was functional. If I bought one I would do the same. I really like those stoves.

Reactions: bholler
Man you’re all making this a tough choice! I was thinking I could make some sort of furniture to hold the digital thermometer that sits to the side of the stove. Although it may make sense just to KISS and stick with the mechanical unit
That was my thought. The main aesthetic issue would be hiding the power wire that goes to the low voltage power supply and the thermocouple cable that goes to the flue probe. I have run both analog and digital probes on our stove and find the digital unit to be significantly faster in response. And it has a user-settable alarm which we have found to be invaluable.

I seen a thread on here where a person ground the spot weld off so the bottom air was functional. If I bought one I would do the same. I really like those stoves.
That bottom should only ever be used with coal or peat

What!?!? You’re kidding, right? (Sarcasm)
Not sure what you are getting at. (I know you are joking) but air under wood fire can destroy a stove

You can get some infos and some photos at : Morso 1410 Squirrel. If wanting some more particular photos, just ask and I will do my best.

Yea that's what I want something that sticks on the stove pipe easy and not separate just there..lol Yea Nortcan has a Morso and he loves the stove and heats up a very large area. I was going to get one too but changed my mind because it was just not what I had in mind in the way of heating up coffee and soups in a emergency other than that and the dimensions for me where not square enough--lol I would have that stove too..It's a beautiful little stove...clancey.

Yea that's what I want something that sticks on the stove pipe easy and not separate just there..lol Yea Nortcan has a Morso and he loves the stove and heats up a very large area. I was going to get one too but changed my mind because it was just not what I had in mind in the way of heating up coffee and soups in a emergency other than that and the dimensions for me where not square enough--lol I would have that stove too..It's a beautiful little stove...clancey.
Just a magnetic thermometer will work fine if you have single wall pipe, you will need a probe if it is double wall. To be clear he said he was surprised by how much it heated. They are great little stoves but they are very small and just don't have the btus to heat large areas for very long.