Thermometers for new stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AndrewU

Burning Hunk
Dec 1, 2019
Sedro-Woolley WA
I’ve got an Ashford 30 (cat stove) I’m very close to being able to fire up for the first time. Haven’t had wood heat since my teens.

What thermometers do I need/really want? It came with the cat thermometer but that’s it.

I think I need a stove top thermometer and a flue probe. Anything else?

Brands/models and appropriate placement please. If it matters I have double wall stove pipe.

I dont think that you need a stove top thermometer as all you need to monitor is your cat and stove pipe temp...for double wall pipe Condar makes a excellent double wall pipe thermometer....I believe it is positioned 18 inches above the top of the stove...

Reactions: Highbeam
You don't need any thermometer except the cat probe. I have an Ashford, and you just light the fire, wait for the cat to come to temp, then engage the cat and set the thermostat where you want it. If the door is shut and cat is engaged, risk of overfire is very low; the thermostatic air control takes care of everything for you.

I grew up with a woodstove, and because of that experience I figured I'd get a flu thermometer eventually, but haven't needed one. People have them for fun, of course...

You don't need any thermometer except the cat probe. I have an Ashford, and you just light the fire, wait for the cat to come to temp, then engage the cat and set the thermostat where you want it. If the door is shut and cat is engaged, risk of overfire is very low; the thermostatic air control takes care of everything for you.

I grew up with a woodstove, and because of that experience I figured I'd get a flu thermometer eventually, but haven't needed one. People have them for fun, of course...
I view the flu thermometer as insurance so as not to burn to low and create creosote...I run a BK Princess and do not worry about over firing at all...

Reactions: ben94122