Thermostat and location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjk454ss

Oct 8, 2013
Michigan
Is there any reason to get a better thermostat than the one that came with my quadrafire classic bay? Also, is it ok somewhere on the wall in the pic? Or should I run the wire to the other side of the room to get it farther from the stove?

null_zpsfd11946b.jpg

Get a decent digital thermostat like the Lux with a adjustable swing. If I had it all to do over again I would get a wireless thermostat.

First off, welcome to the forum and very nice set up. The thermostat that came with the stove is ok if you only wanna control on/off temps. If you wanna set different temps for different times of the day you would need a programmable one. Also, I would put the thermostat about 5 ft. above the floor and not directly in front of the stove. Probably on the wall to the left or right of the stove behind it would be good.

Thanks, I think that's a good idea, a programmable one. I like the idea of wireless, I'll have to look for a decent wireless programmable one I think.

The t stat should be on an interior wall if available. Somewhere representative of the whole area you're heating, ie not in a warm or cold spot of the room.

The stat should be at least 15' away, and NOT directly in line or next to the stove. Any closer or in line with the heat output of the stove, and the stove won't heat the whole area.....the stat will shut it off too soon.

Lux makes a good unit.

Thanks. I ordered the lux from amazon, should have it tomorrow. Thanks prime shipping:). Didn't go wireless, I will have to see how I can run the wire best. Might just hide it under the window sill and move it across the room. It would be on an outside wall, but it's a pretty well protected wall and it's well insulated,

.....and move it across the room. It would be on an outside wall, but it's a pretty well protected wall and it's well insulated,
Not usually a good idea....if you can get it on an interior wall, better choice.....even if it's a pain to run the wire. Is that carpeting on the floor? Pull up the edge and run the wire under it along the wall.

Not usually a good idea....if you can get it on an interior wall, better choice.....even if it's a pain to run the wire. Is that carpeting on the floor? Pull up the edge and run the wire under it along the wall.

I can run the wire down through the basement, but I hate to have it run up a wall 5ft to the thermostat. I'll have to look in the basement again and see if I can find an area in the wall I could fish the wire through.

Running a wire is going to be really tough, basement is old beams like found in an old barn, walls are lathe board. Any recommendations on an affordable wireless thermostat so I don't have to mess with wiring?

The room my stove is in is 20' X 24'. The stove is in the middle of the 20' outside wall. The thermostat is on the wall, to the side, opposite the stove 20 feet away. When I built the room, I pre wired it for cable, home theater, and the thermostat. I've fished wires many times before and learned by experience. If you are putting the thermostat on an inside wall, at least you won't have to fight the insulation! A wireless thermostat will solve all that!

Skytech 3301. Amazon for about 150 bucks.. Not the cheapest thing out there, but it's wireless, battery operated, and programmable. Works great.

Do you have to get a certain type of thermostat ?? Or will any kind work ?? Are there certain types you have to use with pellet stoves ??

I have a Hunter brand from Walmart. Has a preset 1 degree swing that you can adjust to add another. 5 in both directions. That's how I use it so it is basically a 1.5 degree swing....works nice.

I also have it on an outside wall about 6 feet from the stove. It took some time to place it in the right spot where it would mimic the thermostat for furnace but where I have it now works great

I also have a ceiling fan right in front of my stove that tends to pull the colder air from the other rooms and mix the warm stove air nicely.

I have a Hunter brand from Walmart. Has a preset 1 degree swing that you can adjust to add another. 5 in both directions. That's how I use it so it is basically a 1.5 degree swing....works nice.

I also have it on an outside wall about 6 feet from the stove. It took some time to place it in the right spot where it would mimic the thermostat for furnace but where I have it now works great

Not wireless is it? If do how much was it?

My wired thermostat is a Honeywell Round. About as basic and cheap as you can get.

Here is the thing though that I am a little confused on. I'm online at Lowe's shopping for a digital thermostat because some of you had said that you can use any thermostat with the pellet stove, except for a baseboard electric etc ..

Well there is Lux I want but under the specs it says this:

" Use with Pellet Stoves for mV Thermostats - NO "
So what does this mean ?? Do I have to have a thermostat that does mV ?? Help ..

Here is the thing though that I am a little confused on. I'm online at Lowe's shopping for a digital thermostat because some of you had said that you can use any thermostat with the pellet stove, except for a baseboard electric etc ..

Well there is Lux I want but under the specs it says this:

" Use with Pellet Stoves for mV Thermostats - NO "
So what does this mean ?? Do I have to have a thermostat that does mV ?? Help ..

I just hooked mine up with a Lux 1500

http://www.amazon.com/Lux-Products-...mostat/dp/B001C0G4O8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I noticed yours says it will do millivolt ... this is the questions i'm having .. do you have to have millivolt thermo's on a pellet stove ??

I noticed yours says it will do millivolt ... this is the questions i'm having .. do you have to have millivolt thermo's on a pellet stove ??

Sorry, not sure. I just thought I'd point out the Lux I have that's working with my Classic Bay. If your near a Menards I found one on clearance at my local Menards for $19.

I looked up that model and it does have millivolt .. thanks though

Status
Not open for further replies.