Thermostat requirements for old 2 knob Harman pp38+

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lewisc1985

Dec 28, 2017
New York
So, I've got this lovely stove installed, and it's so very nice. but it's time to get it so I don't have to babysit it so much. i'd like to install a thermostat. from what I've found, people say that I need a mV capable thermostat, but I've also seen people say that it also has to be mechanical only, no digital. is that true? i'm looking at picking up a cheap mV capable Honeywell off of amazon that is programmable, but if it requires a mechanical one, i'm boned, right? i'll have to get a more expensive thermostat?

So you do know that when a thermostat is connected to your P38+, when it calls for heat it goes to turbo mode, then when heat temp is reached it goes back to feed preset.. I just did a quick search here and looks like yes you need a MV thermostat.. Not sure about a programable one. I'd search further.. I used a mechanical one on mine for a short time..Didn't like it going to turbo mode, but thats just me..

I kind of have a split level and the upper part gets warmer than the stove room, PIA to run a thermostat there & it seemed to use more pellets going into turbo mode..

I had a stat on my p38 years ago. Turbo is way to much fuel burning sometsets. Unburnt fuel rolling over the edge into ash pan. Have you turned your stove to turbo and let it run for an hour to see how it burns?

If you find something that works post it please. Thanks

I had a stat on my p38 years ago. Turbo is way to much fuel burning sometsets. Unburnt fuel rolling over the edge into ash pan. Have you turned your stove to turbo and let it run for an hour to see how it burns?
i live in an a frame cabin, so it doesn't take long for the stove to bring the room up to temperature, I'm not worried about it running for an hour on turbo.

I just upgraded my PP38+ to the newer style board and it comes with the external thermostat wire which is connected to the board and is thermostatically controlled. I haven't really run the stove all that much as it is going to be for the basement and on really cold nights. The stove does appear to run much better and i do believe the old board had failed since the stove was doing some odd things. I think you would be happy with the upgrade!