Thermostat wire lenght for gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jun 14, 2020
Upstate New York
I have a Majestic DV360 gas fireplace, close to 20 years old. When I moved in I replaced the regular on/off wall switch with an old (20 years also) Robertshaw 9600 programmable thermostat to give a bit more control of the fireplace. There is probably 6-7 feet of wire between the gas valve terminals and the thermostat.
Because it is so close to the fireplace the heat has more affect on the thermostat than I would like so I want to move the thermostat farther away. Although this thermostat is low voltage (but apparently not millivolt) so far it has worked OK to open/close the gas valve as desired. Moving the thermostat would require a wire length of anywhere from 25 to 50 feet. Would you expect that with the additional wire length the thermostat would still operate the gas valve? If not, would a true millivolt thermostat do the trick?

20 -25 feet should work, but the spec for MAX T-Stat wire length & gauge, is probably in the install or owner's manual.

Thanks for the quick reply. Did not find anything in the manual about wire gauge or length but I can try different things without actually routing the wire. The tstat being for 24v, am I just lucky that it works with the 750mv gas valve?

Thanks for the quick reply. Did not find anything in the manual about wire gauge or length but I can try different things without actually routing the wire. The tstat being for 24v, am I just lucky that it works with the 750mv gas valve?
It looks like the thermostat will work for 24v and millivolt circuits.

Millivolt just needs continuity between the two wires. You don't need a thermostat to test, just temporarily short out the two wires at the end of the run by wire nutting them together. If the burner lights, then the properly connected thermostat will do the same thing.

Millivolt just needs continuity between the two wires. You don't need a thermostat to test, just temporarily short out the two wires at the end of the run by wire nutting them together. If the burner lights, then the properly connected thermostat will do the same thing.
Thanks for the tip. I have about 25 feet of wire I'll try it with hopefully next week.

I have a Majestic DV360 gas fireplace, close to 20 years old. When I moved in I replaced the regular on/off wall switch with an old (20 years also) Robertshaw 9600 programmable thermostat to give a bit more control of the fireplace. There is probably 6-7 feet of wire between the gas valve terminals and the thermostat.
Because it is so close to the fireplace the heat has more affect on the thermostat than I would like so I want to move the thermostat farther away. Although this thermostat is low voltage (but apparently not millivolt) so far it has worked OK to open/close the gas valve as desired. Moving the thermostat would require a wire length of anywhere from 25 to 50 feet. Would you expect that with the additional wire length the thermostat would still operate the gas valve? If not, would a true millivolt thermostat do the trick?
[/QUOT It is all about resistance of the circuit. And also the health/output of your thermo-pile. I would use 18 gauge wire for that application. the larger wire will have less resistance.

millivolt thermostat are just like a switch, that have lower resistance then 24 volt thermostats. you may have just been lucky so far, as some 24 volt thermostats have low enough resistance to work for millivolt.