These new toilets are great

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Over the last 20 years I've ended up replacing all the toilets in several houses - just don't ask.

Recently swapped out a couple old 5 gallon Mansfields that didn't work very well for new Kohlers (189 from Lowes) and

1) they do a great job - a successful flush every time; and

2) install has really gotten much easier. Everything comes in the box, all the insides are assembled, assuming you can drop the base on the flange the rest is nothing. No fussing to make sure the tank bolts seal, or to make sure the base of the filler valve seals. And the filler hoses all have hand tighten (rather than wrench) fittings.

Depends on the brand and price point. Still needed the slip joint automatic corner rounding tool for the new equipment.

Replaced our three a month or so ago. Wow is the only word for them.

Wow indeed. We have the water saving dual flush American Standard Cadets and the higher volume flush is rarely needed.
I've also found I like the waxless seal by Fluidmaster. They've been trouble-free on three different toilets now and we can reuse them when we pull the toilet replace floors, etc.
09c5213c-0d36-4d17-9813-fb6b92a0ebc5_400.jpg

I'm in a rural area with a clay topsoil so I ended up putting in a 3,000 gallon tank that needs to be pumped and trucked out when it's full. I have dual flush biffs in both bathrooms and the best one is a pressure assist. It takes everything down with just the 1.1 G flush. And with the house being on a lake a grey water pipe can't be legally used. The tank is pumped once a year now with just myself flushing when I feel like it...

We've had a dual-flush Aussie Caroma toilet upstairs since 2002. It has been service free and passes anything that has been dropped in it, yet is very stingy with water. A new toilet is coming the end of this week to replace our downstairs guzzler. Long overdue.

I have a whole house water filter and these things have tripled the life of the filters. Not to mention how much less water is getting dumped into the drainfield.

I bought just one of the house brand toilets at Lowe's, installed it and a few days later went back and got two more. I can't imagine what else or how much better the other ones could be without auto-wipe or something.

Reactions: Ashful
I've put 2 of the turbo flush type toilets in over the past few years, replacing 5 gal toilets. They do a great job of sending everything on it's way. My concern is whether there's enough water to help the um, solids reach their destination.
So I always give an extra flush to be sure that my weary travelers make it home. And I'm still not using half as much water as I used to.

PBS had a show about how Mexico City can't deliver water to its 22 million inhabitants since its infrastructure has so many small leaks, they basically have given up on trying to fix the system! Families need to have water trucked to,their homes at great expense. And it's not just the leaks but the septic systems too. Most water there is rife with raw sewage... Oh the inhumanatiy of it! I have to have my water trucked away and they have to have it trucked in...
Water will be like liquid gold someday.

I've put 2 of the turbo flush type toilets in over the past few years, replacing 5 gal toilets. They do a great job of sending everything on it's way. My concern is whether there's enough water to help the um, solids reach their destination.
So I always give an extra flush to be sure that my weary travelers make it home. And I'm still not using half as much water as I used to.
If your not plugging the toilet then all is good. And if you are, fiber in a diet is a good thing.

I installed double flush toilets in all my apartments years ago. I cut my water and sewer bill in half. Shortly after, I put them in my house. I paid $99. a piece back then. No problems and worth every penny so far.

My unknowing mistake was making my bathroom color biscuit. It doubled or more the price of a toilet! I had no clue when I started to build my house.

I'm very seriously considering swapping out our 5-6 gallon monster with something a bit more efficient. I've installed new toilets before, but never in place of one so old. Will this be an easy job assuming pipe sizing is the same? What should I look for from the big box stores?

I'm very seriously considering swapping out our 5-6 gallon monster with something a bit more efficient. I've installed new toilets before, but never in place of one so old. Will this be an easy job assuming pipe sizing is the same? What should I look for from the big box stores?
There shouldn't be any problems as long as your water supply valve closes as it should. You might need to tighten the packing nut on it if it's loose. And if the flooring is firm your good to go there too. They have wax gaskets that are extra thick in case you might have a flange that is too low for some reason.

Mansfield dual flush Eco for many years. Nothing fails to go down. Plus, wife and I follow the maxim "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down."

I put a Toto Neorest (which is a tankless toilet) in a bathroom a year ago. I found it brand new at an action at 85% off, or I never would have gotten such a high end toilet. I was surprised how easy the install is, and that thing is amazing once I got it up and running! It warms the seat in the winter. I've gotten addicted to the bidet (which it also warms the water for), and there's a warm air blower to dry you when you're finished. I think the best feature though, is when you sit down it sucks air in the bowl through a filter and gets rid of most of the smell, so my wife doesn't yell at me as much when I'm dropping a deuce while she's putting on her makeup in the morning!

Reactions: wildwildwest
This takes the prize for being the crappiest thread on hearth dot com.

I recently bought a toilet for my new bath at HD. Its amazing how many toilets they have on display. Do we really need all this choice in toilets?

I have to say I am loving this thread . . . have never seen so many folks getting so excited over toilets. :) We are truly a strange group, are we not?

I put a Toto Neorest (which is a tankless toilet) in a bathroom a year ago. I found it brand new at an action at 85% off, or I never would have gotten such a high end toilet. I was surprised how easy the install is, and that thing is amazing once I got it up and running! It warms the seat in the winter. I've gotten addicted to the bidet (which it also warms the water for), and there's a warm air blower to dry you when you're finished. I think the best feature though, is when you sit down it sucks air in the bowl through a filter and gets rid of most of the smell, so my wife doesn't yell at me as much when I'm dropping a deuce while she's putting on her makeup in the morning!
I'm jealous.

I'm jealous.

It's pretty amazing. They retail for around $3000, which is just stupid for a toilet. But it is very nice. I've seen warmed seats and bidets, that basically do the same thing for $300-$500 that just add on to your existing toilet. That's still a LOT for a toilet, but it's at least somewhat realistic.

Reactions: wildwildwest
We have a Kohler (c.1991) and it's one of the first generation "low flow" toilets. It's about as useful as teats on a boar. It takes a prolonged flush to "make the brown go down". The first "flush" nearly always spits back debris or, in the case of wee-wee the toilet paper. The good man and I differ greatly on this subject... I see the replacement of the commode will require wifely intervention.

Thanks for the information, boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.