Thimble Needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
We're looking to sell our house, and the buyer's home inspection finds fault with this pipe installation. They're wanting a thimble installed where the duct tape. Is this a valid request? Hopefully the pic tells the story.
IMG_20190418_065209910.jpg

Not sure about codes in your area but the duct tape, for me, would be a deal killer. Does not look the least bit professional and would make me question the whole installation of the stove and, maybe, any other DIY projects in the house.

Totally agree with the above post.

Using a thimble if the wall is combustible is a valid request. It is a basic safety requirement and should be done regardless if the stove is professionally installed or not. You have to cut a hole in the wall anyway.

I'd be glad that's all the fault they find in the house. Install a thimble with appropriate high temp sealant (not duct tape) and be done with it.

So whats the problem they are not expensive just install one
Not hard . If that's all they found thank your lucky star