Think I need to make more firewood racks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tithis

Jul 30, 2020
Western Mass
Finally got the remaining trunks of the big sugar maple that fell when I moved in 2 years ago split. I finally caved and hired a guy with big gas splitter to do it. It's been dead since 2020 and cut into rounds since last fall. With the new baby and how work hours were lining up with my fiances job there just was realistically no way I'd get to it myself before it rotted.

PXL_20230517_184737171.jpg

How many cords does that look like?

2-3?

Reactions: patrickk222
i'll guess 2 or 3 also. And Yes you need more racks.

I think you have a solid three cords there.

With the new baby and how work hours were lining up with my fiances job there just was realistically no way I'd get to it myself before it rotted.
How many cords does that look like?
Yep, best to get it split and stacked before too long--Maple doesn't hold up forever on the ground. I had some rounds stacked on a driveway for a couple years, not covered, and ended up pitching maybe 20%, and that included keeping some that isn't the greatest. The stuff higher in the stack was better, but the bottom rounds took a beating. I finally scored some sheet metal last year, and that woulda saved more of the Maple rounds if I'd gotten it covered earlier, I'm sure.