Thinking of buying a new stove any recommandations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I am looking into purchasing a new stove in the spring, or if and when I can get a good buy. I would like one that is EPA cert that gives off 70,000 + Btu's will burn all night on a load ( 6 - 8 hours). NON Cat. Needs to have glass door. Should be wallet friendly. I looked into the Englander but some people have had problems I have read. Looking to spend around $ 1200.00

kwikrp said:
I am looking into purchasing a new stove in the spring, or if and when I can get a good buy. I would like one that is EPA cert that gives off 70,000 + Btu's will burn all night on a load ( 6 - 8 hours). NON Cat. Needs to have glass door. Should be wallet friendly. I looked into the Englander but some people have had problems I have read. Looking to spend around $ 1200.00

I'm shopping too and I'll tell you finding a quality unit that puts out 70,000BTU for $1200 is a tall, perhaps impossible, order.

For the best btus for the $ go for the Englander in late January when the big box stores are clearing out inventory in preparation for spring. You'll read about issues with almost every stove made here. Often, that's the sole reason people post here. But given the huge quantities of these stoves sold, there's going to be a small amount of defects that get by QC occasionally. But in general, most folks have been pretty happy with these stoves.

PS: How large a space are you trying to heat?

I have the stove located in a 20 x 10 room on right side of the stove is a wall the other side is a 20 x 10 kitchen arealength of wall whch seperates kitchen from stove room runs 12 foot then opens again, at about 20 feet away from the stove begins a hallway which , is 12 feet long and there are 2 bedrooms that are 14 x 12 and 12 x 12. On the back wall to the stove is a set of 5 step which goes into a 28 X 24 room. I would like to warm all these areas. Doing it ok with a 60,000 BTU old late 70's cast iron vc defiant, stove temp only gets to 400 at griddle temp in horizontal burn. But can only get about 5 hours on an overnight and have read some people with new more efficient stove are getting 8-9 hours and they are getting more btus and long burn times with the wood.

I suspect you'll find an Englander 30NC in late January or early Feb. at a very attractive price. Just be ready, they go fast on sale. Often inventory is gone in days.

Or just buy a 30 now. It is in the price range.

The big Drolet at Northern Tool or locally.

MarkG

kwikrp said:
I am looking into purchasing a new stove in the spring, or if and when I can get a good buy. I would like one that is EPA cert that gives off 70,000 + Btu's will burn all night on a load ( 6 - 8 hours). NON Cat. Needs to have glass door. Should be wallet friendly. Looking to spend around $ 1200.00

http://www.drolet.ca/product.aspx?CategoId=1&Id=348

Status
Not open for further replies.