Thinking of getting a Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stamp

Sep 6, 2017
USA
I have a 3000 sq. ft modular house with an addition on it (long house). Currently have a forced air propane furnace in each end of the house. A couple years ago the price of propane went up big and I installed a wood burner about mid section of the house. (6" pipe and was Amish built, no electric blower) Now my back says no more wood, so I'm thinking about switching to a pellet stove, much easier than wood on the back. Propane is currently $1.40 gal. I've looked at the multi fuel burners and like having multiple options, but I also like the looks of a gravity fed pellet stove. (in case of power outage and just to save electric) Would love to have some advice and ideas on the matter. Thanks!!!

The Wiseway was sold to US Stoves. Don't know if they are dedicating any resources to further development. Needs premium pine pellets.
I was looking at a new stove that uses rocket stove tech. Lost the link sorry. Looked far more promising and ability to use small wood pieces as well.

at 3000 sq. ft. your gonna need a monster pellet stove and I would forget the gravity feed.

More like a pellet furnace! And a backup generator.

Considering that the cost of a 3000 watt invertor genny is now under $1000 a couple nice used stoves could have a budget under $4000. I bought a new generator for camping this summer for $800 to the door with remote start and stop.

Reactions: Highbeam
I have a 3000 sq. ft modular house with an addition on it (long house). Currently have a forced air propane furnace in each end of the house. A couple years ago the price of propane went up big and I installed a wood burner about mid section of the house. (6" pipe and was Amish built, no electric blower) Now my back says no more wood, so I'm thinking about switching to a pellet stove, much easier than wood on the back. Propane is currently $1.40 gal. I've looked at the multi fuel burners and like having multiple options, but I also like the looks of a gravity fed pellet stove. (in case of power outage and just to save electric) Would love to have some advice and ideas on the matter. Thanks!!!
A bag of pellets weighs 40 lbs and can be awkward to handle. They're not exactly easy on the back.

Reactions: Stamp