Thinking of updating old Defiant Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Excavator

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2011
Central NJ
Been a while since I posted on site as I still burn old 0028 VC Encore. I rebuilt it several times with new upper / lower fireback and refractor and many cats.
I bought new in 1987 and now thinking of possible update stove after this season. I have 8 inch insulated liner running up the 2 story brick fireplace and block off plate in place. I could just keep doing maintenance and be happy spending money on it. Any suggestions on a stove to replace it?
Thanks
Jim / excavator

Welcome back. That looks like a tight fit. Is the encore partly inside the fireplace? What is the size of the hearth? In my opinion it might be time to retire that stove.

The with is 33 and height is 28 and 17 inch landing . The exhaust neck is inside hearth
Encore pic