This Cherry was a bit scary.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing what a person can do when they set their mind to it. Epic effort. Thump chest drop mic peace out.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yeah, if you let it lie around in the woods, you can kiss it goodbye pretty quickly...the sapwood anyhow. Seems to be holding up a little better since I have the logs stacked on pallets. Not top-covered though. There's a good bit of Hedge here, but I just haven't had the good fortune to score much. I've got maybe 1/3 cord...haven't stacked that yet either, but I'm not worried about it punking out. >>
Sounds like a good story. Care to elaborate? ==c
We had a buck 27000 before the summit was installed and had brought some cutoff chunks of hedge in the house to mix with our cherry and elm. My MIL fed that stove when I was at work and I told her not to burn all of it ( hedge ) together and mix it with what we had with a couple pieces if hedge and mostly cherry/elm. Needless to say her CRS kicked in and had loaded half dozen med / large splits in the stove and over fired it and the chimney. I got home a saw what was happening and quickly opened the stove doors and she cooled off, but I couldn't get 10 ft from it without overheating it was so hot . I don't bring more than a few pieces of hedge in at a time now

chunks of hedge in the house....her CRS kicked in and had loaded half dozen med / large splits in the stove...I couldn't get 10 ft from it without overheating it was so hot
:eek: And that's when you decided it was time for a new stove. ;lol
Epic effort.
Well, I don't know 'bout all that.... ==c

Last edited:
Ticks are one thing, but not everybody is affected by the oak,sumac and ivy. I am one of the lucky few that has virtually no reaction to poison ivy. At this point its the dang skeeters and black flies that get me irritated. :mad:

Besides ticks, don't you guys worry about poison oak or poison sumac or poison ivy?
I worry about ticks and often find one or more after a day in the woods. I finally learned to recognize poison ivy when my wife told me I was waist deep in a large patch of it a few years ago. Since it never bothers me I don't worry about it. Recently when I was running a string trimmer and cut through some I avoided swallowing or rubbing my eyes until I had a chance to clean it from my face.

Besides ticks, don't you guys worry about poison oak or poison sumac or poison ivy?
It has to rub against my bare skin to get me. I've developed good radar for it so I can usually avoid it. A lot of time, I'll work in a short-sleeved shirt unless I know I'm gonna have to reach into ivy to pick up the wood. Long sleeves are just too damned hot.

I was gonna ask you if you started itching yet. ;lol _g
I swear I can hear poison ivy creaping toward my bedroom at night. I can hear the vines slithering thru the blades of grass to twine around my windowsill.
I have eyes in the back of my head for that stuff and I still manage to get it.
I love Cherry too, but I might have waited till the first killing freeze to go hunt that one.

I have a bit of ivy, but not bad. Also got a few chigger, mosquito and deer fly bites. Hey tree girl, ;) check out the leaves in the pic with the Fiskars hatchet. Lotta vines there, too. Between the Sugar Maple and the Poison Ivy is a "strangle vine" wrapped around the little tree trunk. Look at it dig into that bark! :eek: Then I see some Red Elm leaves, and I think the shiney oblong ones may be sapling Shingle Oak.

So you did get the Crud? Lol.
Leaves of three...
It took me a while to find that "strangle vine" you're mentioning. That would make a nice walking stick, I mean, once you stopped itching.
So what happened to the tree? It looked super clean and healthy...aside from the big snapped part.

So you did get the Crud
Oh yeah, I get the Ivy, alright. Not hyper-sensitive, though. It has to rub against my skin for me to get it. If I were to stick my arm in a bunch of leaves, I would have a really bad case. The tree uprooted, but there was no big wind so I guess the root support was eroded by water, being in that gully; Not sure why it cracked like that; Stopped falling and was top-heavy??

Last edited:
Ticks are one thing, but not everybody is affected by the oak,sumac and ivy. I am one of the lucky few that has virtually no reaction to poison ivy. At this point its the dang skeeters and black flies that get me irritated. :mad:

You still want to be careful around the stuff Jags . . . I never had any issues with it. I literally was rolling in it at a car crash . . . guy (fellow firefighter) beside me and my wife (ambulance driver) got a bad case of it and I had nothing. Have also been walking in it previously with no issues.

Then last year I was geocaching in a patch of it . . . egads . . . nasty stuff spread all over my legs. I finally understood the misery of poison ivy.

Attachments

• Poisonviy.jpg
    Poisonviy.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 240
Reactions: Woody Stover
I don't go in tempting fate, but I have never had more than a very short term "warm" reaction when in contact. I don't intentionally go romping through it, but ain't skeered if I come across it.

I swear I can hear poison ivy creaping toward my bedroom at night. I can hear the vines slithering thru the blades of grass to twine around my windowsill.
I have eyes in the back of my head for that stuff and I still manage to get it.

I seem to be able to get it just by looking at it from afar :( Just finished a round of the old prednisone last week.

So you did get the Crud? Lol.
Leaves of three...
It took me a while to find that "strangle vine" you're mentioning. That would make a nice walking stick, I mean, once you stopped itching.
So what happened to the tree? It looked super clean and healthy...aside from the big snapped part.
I don't go in tempting fate, but I have never had more than a very short term "warm" reaction when in contact. I don't intentionally go romping through it, but ain't skeered if I come across it.
I can tell if I've contacted it; I'll get a slight itching sensation almost immediately. Agreed, even if you don't get it, avoid contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.