This forum poster PM me with a pellet stove problem You experts try to help out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

My insert is sure acting up, has worked perfect for the past 5 years. I maintain it on a regular basis, but this is what I am up against.
I turn on the thermostat,the exhaust blower comes on,no pellet feed
I turn off the thermostat,exhaust blower runs for about 5 mins then shuts off
I turn on the thermostat again, same cycle as above
When I turn on the thermostat the third time,pellet feeds, I have a fire, cycles okay, blower to room comes on, have fire and heat for about 30 mins,then it starts shutting down on its own, thermostat is set on 80 degrees, house temp is approx 60 degrees
Cycles okay, when stove has cooled down enough, blower shuts off (Normal)
I turn on thermostat a second time, I get pellet feed,fire,blower but starts shutting down by itself in about 10-15 mins.
Pellet feed is good for the time it is running but it shuts itself off.
Can someone offer an idea of what is troubling this insert?
Thanks,
Tomalh

My earlier call for help and ideas on my Pellet insert problem (premature shutdown)
Quadrafire CB 1200-I insert
Vents out pre-existing chimminey with 6'' pellet snap pipe
Hopefully this is information needed to help me out.
Thx,
Tomalh

tomahl said:
My earlier call for help and ideas on my Pellet insert problem (premature shutdown)
Quadrafire CB 1200-I insert
Vents out pre-existing chimminey with 6'' pellet snap pipe
Hopefully this is information needed to help me out.
Thx,
Tomalh

Do you have an external thermostat?
Let's go back over your problems Most seem related to pellets not feeding in the beginning or once they do feed they stop and the fire goes out..... I'd say possible vac switch issue, maybe a leaky gasket here or there or air intake not set right and finally maybe a blocked flue.
Be green and MSG have the experience with quads not me, but I've looked at their prints, and essentially all pellet stove have the same basic functions, quads seem to have more parts such as the snap disks.
But IMO (which means about as much as a politicians campaign promise) I'd say your stove won't draft properly, have you cleaned the pipe out thoroughly? Have you checked the gaskets on the doors?

Additional information to try and solve this problem on this quad 1200-i insert, got my gas bill today and just before hollow's eve it is spooky! to say the least.
This is more info that I have for Begreen and MSg or anyone that can input help with a solution.
Thermostat is mounted on wall around the corner from insert,about 10' away.
I don't understand about the air intake being set right,please explain
Note: This stove ran perfect without a flaw for almost 5 years, other than replacing the igniter.
I have checked and cleaned the flue,no obstructions here.
I have also replaced both #1 and # 2 snap disks and thermocouple, replaced cover on thermo over firepot,and a new thermostat (12 milvolt)
Draft problem? I'll have to trouble shoot or any idea here
Gasket on door looks good and has a good seal
I'll troubleshoot the gasket seal around the pipes
My next purchase may have to be the vac switch to eliminate another problem.
Any solutions, or ideas toward getting this quad to work like it's suppose to are certainly appreaciated, Burr!!!!!!!!!!! just had a big storm dump 20" here just west of Golden in the mountains. Got to throw in a little humor,while I type this message with gloves on.
Thx,
Tomalh

I have a technicians manual in pdf if you want just need email.

I would try jumpering out the vac switch temporarilly. There is no point in throwing parts at the system unless they really need replacing. Again, I suggest this as a termporary, diagnostics only test. You'll wnat to return wiring to spec as soon as the problem has been isolated. Just disconnect the vac switch and put a jumper wire between the spade lugs that go on the switch. While you're back there, examine the vac switch hose to be sure it's in good condition, no nicks and no cracks at the connecting barbs.

PS: can you point me to the original thread so I can catch up? I've been slammed trying to put our house back together after the new floors went in.

I've got a back up copy if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.